Golden Taurus pepper: characteristics and productivity
Pepper is a vegetable that contains a large number of vitamins and minerals. Depending on the color, it has distinctive qualities. Yellow varieties are rich in potassium and carotene, which has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular, nervous, musculoskeletal systems of a person, and also improves vision. These varieties include Golden Taurus pepper, which will be discussed in the article.
Description and characteristics of the variety
The Golden Taurus pepper variety was specially bred for cultivation in Siberia, as well as in the central regions of Russia. It was included in the State Register for the West Siberian Region for cultivation in open ground and under film shelter in 2006. It forms a bush of medium height from 0.7 to 1 m. The leaves are dark green, wrinkled. On one plant, up to 15 fruits develop.
Did you know? Yellow pepper contains endorphin - hormone of happiness.
Resistance to climatic conditions
Due to the unstable climate, Golden Taurus pepper is a mid-early variety, not picky about weather conditions, cold-resistant, characterized by a short ripening period.
It gives a fairly large crop - approximately 1.5–2 kg from one bush.
Description of the fetus
The fruit is cuboid, drooping, has a glossy shine. The wall thickness is 7–10 mm, weighs an average of 120–150 g, the pulp is juicy, sweet in taste. In the technical ripeness of dark green, in the biological - dark orange.
It has a pleasant taste, due to which it can be used fresh, for the preparation of salads, stuffed, and also canned.
Pros and cons of the variety
- The main positive qualities of Golden Taurus are:
- unpretentious to climatic conditions;
- gives a high yield;
- has a good presentation;
- possesses high tastes.
- To the negative:
- sensitive to diseases and pests such as late blight, rot, aphids, spider mites, slugs.
In order to get a high yield of Golden Taurus pepper, you must adhere to the rules of planting, which include the conditions for sowing the seed, the place and timing of planting seedlings.
Important! Yellow pepper should not be consumed in large quantities by people with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, which are accompanied by increased acidity.
Optimum seeding time
Golden Taurus pepper seeds are sown 60–70 days before transplanting in open ground. To accelerate germination, you can soak the seeds in a weak solution of potassium permanganate or a special preparation “Fitosporin” for 15-20 minutes, rinse with clean water and dry. Plants germinate within 10-14 days. The optimal sowing period is the second half of February. The temperature should not be lower than + 25 ° C, good lighting is also necessary.
For planting the variety under consideration, soil with the following characteristics is suitable:
- it should be a site protected from the cold wind, drafts, and also fairly sunny;
- in autumn, you need to dig deeply the bed reserved for pepper, fertilize with manure or compost (5 kg per 1 sq. m), you can still make potash or phosphate fertilizers with a calculation of 60–70 g per 1 sq. m;
- in the spring, nitrogen-containing fertilizers should be used (sodium nitrate, ammonium sulfate);
- 4–5 days before planting, the earth should be disinfected with a solution of copper sulfate (1 tablespoon per 10 liters of water).
It consists of the following stages:
- best planted in late May - early June, when the soil is warm enough and there will no longer be a risk of night frosts;
- first you need to harden the seedlings at an air temperature of +14 ... + 15 °, opening the greenhouse film or taking the plants outside for several hours;
- a day before planting in a permanent place, seedlings need to be watered;
- you need to plant in non-hot time so that the seedlings do not burn out in the sun and can get stronger over night;
- per 1 square. m should be planted up to 5 plants, while between the bushes leave a distance of 40–45 cm, and between rows - 50-60 cm;
- in already prepared wells, you need to pour warmed water with a calculation of 1 liter of water per 1 plant, and plant seedlings at the same depth at which it was before.
Pepper Care After Planting
It includes the following actions:
- Loosening the soil - it is better to start the procedure when the seedlings are well rooted, and this happens no earlier than 14 days after planting. The following row-spacing loosening should be done after watering or rain, being careful not to touch the bushes, which break very easily.
- The formation of the bush - is to remove excess shoots to increase productivity. It starts from the moment when the plant reaches a height of 20 cm. Two of the strongest shoots are left, the rest are plucked. Left shoots begin to branch, in each branch weak shoots are removed. So you need to do with every shoot that bifurcates.
- Stepsons - stepsons come off below the branching of the main shoots.
- Tie-up of bushes - is to put a support near the plant and tie it to it, because the described variety of pepper gives a large crop, and the bush may not withstand the load during ripening of fruits.
- Fertilizer - carried out several times. The first time the seedlings are fertilized 2 weeks after planting in a permanent place. You can use slurry (1: 5) or bird droppings (1:10). It is also possible to dilute 15–20 g of ammonium nitrate, 40–50 g of superphosphate, and 15–20 g of potassium chloride in 10 l of water. Water at the rate of 1 liter of fertilizer per 1 plant. The second time you need to fertilize when fruiting begins. The third time, top dressing can be done from organic fertilizers during the abundant development of the fruit.
- Regular watering - carried out with warm water, not abundantly and as the earth dries.
Pest and Disease Control
Like any other crop, Golden Taurus pepper can suffer from diseases and pests, which include:
- late blight is a fungal disease that forms brown spots on the leaves of pepper, which grow throughout the plant and affect the fruits. Preventive measures are crop rotation and disinfection (use means "Barrier", "Barrier", "Oksikhom");
- rot - occurs as a result of high air humidity, manifests itself as the appearance of putrefactive spots and mold on the plant and fruit. It is necessary to destroy the affected vegetables and plant areas, in severe cases, treat with a fungicidal preparation ("Barrier", "Fitodoctor", "Trichodermin");
- the black leg is a disease in which, due to the high humidity of air and soil, the root stem rots and the entire bush dies. It is necessary to deal with it by adjusting the amount of watering and temperature, dry the earth, loosen it and sprinkle with wood ash;
- black bacterial spotting - mainly affects young plants, on which small watery spots with a yellow border first appear, then they grow and darken to black. The disease develops in a humid environment. It can be avoided by observing crop rotation, seed dressing in a weak solution of potassium permanganate or the “Fitolavin-300” preparation;
- aphid - an insect that damages the entire plant completely, sucking out juice from it. It can be destroyed using a home-made solution of 10 liters of hot water, 1 tbsp. finely chopped tobacco or wood ash. You can also use insecticidal drugs ("Keltan", "Karbofos") at the rate of 1 tablespoon of substance per 10 liters of water;
- slugs are parasites that eat pepper leaves and fruits. It is necessary to fill the surface of the earth with ground bitter pepper, dry mustard or treat it with special preparations ("Thunderstorm Meta", "Sludge Eater");
- spider mite - sucks juice from the bottom of plant leaves. The best way to combat this parasite is to spray a home-prepared solution of 10 liters of water, 1 cup finely chopped onion or garlic, 1 tablespoon of liquid soap. The remedy must be insisted for several hours.
Harvesting and storage rules
Golden Taurus pepper is well suited for sale, long-term storage and transportation. Important! To collect seeds for next year, you need to select the largest and most healthy fruits, allowing them to fully ripen. It is collected, adhering to the basic rules:
- It is necessary to collect during the period of technical maturity, that is, when the fruits are dark green, white or light yellow. They are cut off every 5-10 days. In this state, vegetables can last up to 2 months and gradually ripen. If they are removed from the storage place and put in a bright place, then they acquire the color of biological maturity and become yellow-orange. Fruits harvested during biological maturity are not stored for a long time, so they must be used immediately.
- Fruits should be stored in basements or cold rooms without extraneous odors (since pepper absorbs odors) at a temperature of –8 ...– 10 ° С.
- Vegetables need to be stacked in 1-2 rows in low boxes or plastic bags, special plastic packaging is used for transportation.
- Before storage, it is necessary to sort vegetables, select healthy and undamaged ones, shorten the stalk to 1–1.5 cm. You can also wrap each pepper in a sheet of paper for better preservation.
Pepper Golden Taurus can please gardeners with its positive qualities - it is a great yield, sweet taste, universal use in cooking, good presentation, provided that this variety is properly taken care of at all stages of its development and ripening.
Network user reviews
Very tasty and sweet pepper.
I have been growing sweet pepper for a long time, although before I had not only disliked it, but even could not stand the smell. Now another thing. I love and just fresh from the bush, and in the salad, and roll lecho for the winter. Usually I rarely change variety. I plant seeds from my proven peppers. But from time to time I still buy something new. Of the red ones, it was pepper "Russian Souvenir", which I already wrote about. And last year I bought the seeds of sweet pepper grade "Golden Taurus". Here is such a positive pepper beautiful orange color grows. There are quite a lot of peppers on the bush. They ripen together, and the bush looks very nice in a greenhouse. The fruits are large, goblet, and the bush has to be constantly propped up with something. Otherwise, it lies on the ground, not bearing the weight of the fruit. Here is such a beautiful pepper. The fruits are thick-walled, very sweet. In general, all fruits and berries of yellow and orange color are sweeter than their red counterparts. For some reason. Seeds I always leave mine. I cut off the upper part with the stalk and lay it on a paper towel on the windowsill for ripening. There were few seeds in this pepper. Therefore, you will have to take it from another pepper. I am pleased to recommend this variety for lovers. TamaraSh //otzovik.com/review_1255756.html