Frozen cranberries: beneficial and harmful properties
Cranberry shrubs are not uncommon for the northern regions of Russia, Canada, the USA, it is actively cultivated in Belarus, Scandinavia, Karelia. Bright red, acidic fruits are harvested mainly on marshy soils in a temperate and cooler climate. Cranberries have a unique combination of nutrients that is actively used in recipes of traditional medicine and cooking.
Frozen Cranberries - Features
After harvesting, the berries can be used fresh for making fruit drinks, however, many housewives prefer to freeze the product or make compotes from it in order to preserve all the benefits of fresh fruits. Freshly picked cranberries can be in the refrigerator for no more than 20 days, and then requires heat treatment.
Cranberry ice cream retains a maximum of beneficial properties due to the content of natural preservatives, where benzoic acid plays the main role. It is this element that allows you to keep the product in the freezer for 2 years without losing its healing qualities.
Compliance with certain rules will allow you to get the maximum health benefits:
- the shock freezing method cannot be used for heat treatment of berries;
- berries must be sorted out, removing damaged, low-quality;
- Do not wash the berries before immersion in the freezer, as this may violate the integrity of the fruit shell;
- before freezing, the fruits should be decomposed on a flat surface in one layer and sent to freeze, which will preserve the integrity of the berries and prevent them from sticking together;
- the optimal shelf life is 6 months, but cranberries can be frozen for up to 2 years.
Did you know? The flowering of cranberry shrubs is very reminiscent of the appearance of a crane, so the berry got its name in English “cranberry” and in Ukrainian “crane”.
For storage, it is recommended to use a food container, not a plastic bag. It is also worth mentioning that it is necessary to defrost cranberries gradually, it is better to leave it at room temperature overnight and drain the resulting liquid in the morning. This method will ensure the preservation of vitamins.
The composition of the berries is unique, healing in nature due to the presence of such elements:
- tannin is a natural antibiotic that can destroy pathogenic microorganisms and bacteria, as well as enhancing the action of synthetic antibacterial agents. This substance gives the cranberry its specific bitter taste;
- ascorbic acid, the maximum concentration of which is in the pulp of the berry;
- ursolic acid, which provides muscle tissue development;
- acids: malic, quinic, citric, benzoic;
- vitamins A, PP, E, K1 and group B is widely represented;
- potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron;
- glucose and fructose;
- indigestible dietary fiber that improves intestinal motility.
The shell of the berry contains numerous astringent components that ensure the removal of harmful substances from the body and tone the vessels. The composition also includes prebiotics that contribute to the normalization of microflora and intestinal functioning.
Important! The substances in the berries in moderate doses can prevent the development of caries, however, with abundant consumption of fresh fruits, enamel disturbance on the teeth may occur.
The potential energy charge of the product varies somewhat, depending on its condition and is calculated per 100 g:
- fresh: 26 kcal;
- in frozen: 18 kcal;
- dried: 280 kcal;
- candied cranberries: 188 kcal.
The nutritional value
The calorie content of the product is very low, due to which it is actively used in dietary nutrition, and its beneficial components contribute to burning excess calories and reducing body weight, in a portion of 100 g of cranberries contains:
- protein: 0.5 g;
- fats: 0 g;
- carbohydrates: 6.8 g.
Berry is very much appreciated because it has a healing effect on the body, because it is peculiar to:
- carry out detoxification, removing heavy metals, radioactive elements;
- normalize the work of the stomach and intestines, treat the initial stage of pancreatitis, gastritis, with low acidity;
- help eliminate heat, bring down heat;
- destroy pathogenic microorganisms and bacteria; it is effectively used as a natural antibiotic;
- reduce the risk of stone formation in the gall bladder and kidneys;
- use in the treatment of inflammatory processes in the organs of the genitourinary system;
- remove bad cholesterol, improving the elasticity and elasticity of vascular matter;
- to influence the work of the heart and vascular system, providing a better metabolism in the heart muscle, so the chance that a person will have a heart attack or stroke is significantly reduced;
- remove excess fluid that can accumulate in the body of the elderly, increasing the risk of hypertension, and also reduce high blood pressure;
- stimulate the immune system, improve health status for colds and viral diseases;
- fight diseases in the oral cavity, destroying pathogenic microorganisms;
- eliminate vitamin deficiency and anemia, thanks to a unique combination of vitamins and minerals;
- protect the body from aging, protecting tissue cells from the negative effects of free radicals;
- act soothingly on brain cells, stabilize the nervous system of the body;
- improve vision due to the effects of carotenoids;
- cleanse the skin and eliminate defects in the form of boils, acne and acne.
It is extremely useful to drink drinks based on berry juice or chopped fruits, such a healthy drink will help cure:
- tonsillitis and cough;
- oncology, cancer prevention;
We recommend that you learn about cranberries when losing weight.
The berry is actively used to improve the appearance of the skin, stimulate hair growth and their healthy state. The components in the cranberry composition stimulate the normalization of the hormonal background of the female body, so women experience less pain during menstruation.
The fruits of the bush remove toxins, waste, cholesterol, eliminate puffiness, contributing to weight loss. The aging process slows down somewhat, as the elasticity of skin cells increases, wrinkles are smoothed out.
The effect of cranberries on the male body is the effect of the components of the berry on the state of the vascular system:
- the risk of heart attacks and strokes is reduced;
- blood supply to the genitourinary system improves, potency improves.
Organic acids help to eliminate inflammation of the prostate gland, for example, berries are used to prevent and treat prostate adenoma and other diseases, and the composition of seminal fluid is qualitatively improved.
The product is allowed to be given to children. You can start your first acquaintance with berries from an early age, after vegetables and fruits are included in the daily diet of crumbs. For example, it is permissible for children with artificial feeding to give cranberry juice from 6 months, and for breastfeeding from 8 months. However, do not get too carried away with this product, limiting the intake to 2 times a week in a small amount, a portion can gradually reach 15 g, starting with ½ tsp.
Exceeding the norm can cause an allergic reaction in young children. As for the fresh product, the berries are allowed to be included in the diet of babies from 3 years.
Berry drinks are actively used for treatment in children:
- strengthening immunity;
- lack of appetite;
- urinary incontinence;
- enhancing the effects of antibiotics.
Also find out if cranberries are a diuretic.
- Eating berries in significant quantities can adversely affect the work and condition of individual organs and systems of the body:
- deterioration in tooth enamel may occur;
- uncontrolled intake can cause allergic manifestations on the skin, in the form of itching or rashes;
- possible deterioration in the state of health in people with diseases of the duodenal ulcer and gastritis with high acidity;
- it is possible to increase bleeding in people while taking drugs that reduce blood coagulation.
It is worth remembering that the berries are very acidic and their juice can provoke painful conditions even in a healthy person, therefore, fasting cranberries is not recommended.
Important! The body is harmed by the abundant and uncontrolled use of the product by people who are contraindicated in the product or its intake should be under the supervision of doctors.
Contraindications and side effects when taken
- Experts do not advise people with the following pathologies to include cranberries in their diet:
- renal and hepatic pathologies;
- stomach ulcer, duodenal ulcer, gastritis with high acidity;
- allergy sufferers and people with a tendency to this type of reaction need to be careful about taking berries;
- early age up to 3 years without consulting a pediatrician.
Caution should be taken when taking berries during pregnancy and use it for self-medication without consulting a doctor.
The benefits of the application
The beneficial properties of wild northern berries have already been described in detail, however, it is worth telling about the methods of using this healing plant in more detail. The most popular use of cranberries in the form of fruit drinks, juices and fruit drinks, also they make preparations for the winter, preserving jams and preserves.
Frozen Cranberry Compote
This drink is recommended for colds, inflammatory processes of various origins, fever. It is a stimulant of the body's defenses, eliminates pathogenic bacteria and inflammatory processes. It is recommended to take it with pyelonephritis, cystitis as an antibiotic and a diuretic that has a painkiller.
For children, compote can be used in the absence of a desire to eat, to stimulate appetite, as well as an effective means to combat cough.
- frozen cranberries: 1 cup;
- water: 2 l;
- sugar: 150 g.
- The berries are boiled in water with the addition of sugar, which is necessary, because cranberries are very acidic in nature. The amount of sweetener may vary as desired, the optimum proportion is the indicated proportion.
- The drink is boiled for 15-20 minutes.
- Then it is cooled before serving, which allows more to reveal its taste and aroma.
Learn also about the benefits and harms of cranberries grated with sugar.
Such a vitamin drink is also very healthy. Gynecologists advise him to prepare for preventive purposes, as well as as supportive, non-drug therapy. Similar recommendations can be obtained from gastroenterologists and proctologists, thanks to the powerful influence of cranberry constituents.
- frozen berries: 400 g;
- water: 1.5 l;
- sugar: 2-3 tbsp. l
- Defrost berries in advance, this can be done by first removing the berries from the freezer and leaving them in the kitchen overnight at room temperature.
- Squeeze juice from the berries using a sieve, gauze or juicer. The remaining meal should not be thrown away.
- Pour the resulting juice into a sealed container and set aside for a while. The shelf life of such a product should not exceed 24 hours.
- Boil water .
- Set aside a pot of boiling water from the heat for 4-5 minutes, then add sugar and oilcake to it. Mix the added components well with a wooden spatula until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Close the container with a lid and leave for half an hour or until the drink has cooled to room temperature. This will allow the drink to infuse and acquire a more rich taste and aroma.
- Strain by removing cranberry pulp.
- Add berry juice to the resulting liquid and mix well.
The use of natural resources that this wild berry stores in itself can occur to prevent the above diseases and pathologies, and can also have a powerful therapeutic effect.
Did you know? Cranberries can be harvested twice a year in the spring and autumn season. In the spring , berries are picked after the snow melts, then the berries taste sweeter, and in the beginning of autumn more nutrients and vitamins accumulate in them.
Having caught a cold, the human body requires stimulation of protective functions and for this they recommend a plentiful drink, for this cranberry drink is perfect. Berries can be eaten fresh or thawed summer preparations for the preparation of sauces or berry desserts. In addition to the fact that eating berries will help to cope with infections, they also help to lower the temperature, as fever often accompanies colds.
- cranberry berries: 1 cup;
- honey: 1 tbsp. l
For people suffering from high blood pressure, the berry is an excellent natural remedy that can lower blood pressure. They are recommended to use juices or fruit drinks 3-4 times a day, or a mixture according to the recipe below.
- fresh or frozen cranberries: 1 kg;
- garlic: 1 cup;
- honey: 0.5 l.
- Defrost and chop berries in a blender.
- Peel and grind the garlic.
- Mix cranberries with garlic and add honey.
For weight loss
It is used mainly in fresh form or in the form of freshly squeezed juice, since in this case it can have the following effect to the maximum:
- accelerate the metabolism of the body;
- stimulate appetite;
- intensify the absorption of nutrients;
- remove excess water;
- rid the body of toxins and toxins.
A unique combination of trace elements, acids and vitamins in cranberries provides a positive effect and a significant effect on human health. Proper and moderate use can prevent or cure many diseases.