Ficus Abidjan: home care
Ficus Abidjan is named after a city located in the state of Côte d'Ivoire. It has gorgeous shiny leaves, and caring for it does not take much time. Its range extends to northeast India and southern Indonesia. We will talk about the features of this type of ficus and the methods of its reproduction, as well as the signs associated with it, today in the article.
Botanical description of the plant
Ficus Abidjan is one of the most common varieties of rubber ficus (elastic). He belongs to the Mulberry family. This is an evergreen tree that reaches 30–40 m in height, and at home grows to 1.5 m.
Did you know? In the natural habitat, ficuses reach the size of large trees and can grow up to 50 meters in height, and their leaves can reach 1 m in length.
Its leaves are oval and pointed, have a glossy surface. Their length can be 20–30 cm, and their width can be 10–20 cm. Their color depends on the age of the plant. So, the young ficus has pink-brown leaves, and the old one has dark green leaves. Its small fruits are oval in shape and reach 1 cm in diameter.
|Leaf color||Pink brown, dark green|
|Fruit flavor||Not edible|
House growing conditions
The plant in question is great for keeping a house. To do this, you only need to monitor lighting, temperature, humidity and watering.
Did you know? In India, it is believed that ficus has healing properties, so its leaves and roots are boiled in oil, and then used to heal wounds.
After you have acquired the ficus Abidjan, do not rush to transplant it, because the plant needs to get used to the new conditions of detention. This can be done in a few weeks.
Placement and lighting
The described flower is unpretentious in leaving. The main thing is to find a suitable place for him: bright, located away from direct rays of the sun. It should not be placed in a dark place, as this can lead to growth retardation. It will be completely inappropriate to place the ficus on the draft, because this will contribute to the fact that its leaves are covered with dark spots or even fall off.
Since ficus is quite thermophilic, it must be kept at a temperature of + 18–24 ° С. In winter, the readings of the mercury column can be reduced to + 16–18 ° С.
Since the plant prefers high humidity, it is necessary not only to observe the conditions of irrigation, but also to wipe its leaves with a wet sponge. In addition, once a month you should organize a warm shower for him. The soil before this procedure needs to be covered with polyethylene.
For successful home care, you should follow some rules. So, it is necessary to observe the regime of watering and top dressing. In addition, it is important to familiarize yourself with the nuances of crown formation and plant transplantation.
Ficus prefers moderate watering, although increased humidity can be detrimental to the soil. Since the root system of the plant is able to quickly absorb moisture, this can lead to decay. At the same time, watering should be done with warm and previously defended water. The best way to moisturize is to spray the leaves, but do not forget to wipe them with a dry sponge after that.
Important! In summer, water ficus 1 - 2 times a week, in winter - 1 time in 2 weeks.
To determine whether a plant needs watering, insert a fork into the soil to a depth of 3-4 cm. If you saw that the cutlery is dry, then the ficus needs watering. If the ground is still wet, then this procedure can be postponed.
The considered species of ficus prefers fertile and high-quality soil containing all the necessary substances and minerals. The soil structure should be soft and loose. For a five-year-old plant, a mixture that includes turf soil, peat and sand is suitable. In addition, in the warm season, it must be fed using dietary supplements.
Since the tree grows in 1 year by 50 cm, it is necessary to monitor its crown. To do this, connect the main stems at a height of 20 cm. Those that grow sideways must be removed. This will give the flower a beautiful shape and will not lead to stress.
When the ficus grows, it will need to be transplanted. Such manipulation will have to be performed 1-2 times a year. At the same time, drainage is always necessary at the bottom of the tank. A young plant needs a transplant every six months when the pot is filled with its roots. For this, as a rule, choose the period from the end of winter to the beginning of spring. In this case, the pot must be chosen so that its dimensions exceed the dimensions of the previous capacity by 2-3 cm in diameter. Soil can be purchased at a specialty store and add some charcoal to it.
Find out how and when to transplant indoor plants.
However, there are certain requirements that should be followed:
- Since this plant prefers slightly acidic soil, the level of soil acidity should be 6.5–7 pH.
- A young plant needs loose soil, an adult - dense and clay.
- The best soil can be obtained by adding sheet soil, a mixture of turf and humus.
In order to transplant ficus Abidjan, it is necessary to perform the following algorithm of actions:
- Water abundantly.
- Take all the earth to the roots.
- Take the plant and shake off the lumps of earth.
- Place the flower in a new pot with pre-prepared drainage, covered with a layer of soil.
- Spread a layer of new soil over the entire surface of the pot.
Reproduction of ficus occurs in two ways: cuttings and layering.
In order to grow ficus from cuttings, you must perform the following actions:
- Cut the apical stalk at an angle of approximately 45 °. Its length should be 10-15 cm.
- Remove the lower leaves, and the upper while twisting into a tube.
- Wash off the milky juice with warm water.
- Then you should prepare an opaque container and pour a little water into it with the addition of 2 tablets of activated carbon.
- Put the stalk in water.
- Put the container in a warm place with a high percentage of air humidity.
- After the roots appear, it is necessary to plant ficus in a pot.
To propagate ficus by the method of layering, it is necessary to remove the leaves on a strong shoot and make an incision in a round shape. Then you should wrap the cut with wet moss and wrap it in a plastic bag. After that, the flower is planted in a pot and engaged in further care. In this case, you need to periodically moisten the moss until the roots of the plant begin to tear the packet.
There are several problems associated with the process of growing ficus.
Read also about how to plant indoor flowers in a pot.
We will provide a description of some of them:
- Sheets look lifeless and fade. This can be triggered by a lack or excess of moisture. To fix the problem, you should adhere to the watering schedule.
- Formation on sheets of dry patches. The reason for this can be abundant watering or the location of the plant in direct sunlight. Use the correct schedule for watering the plant and rearrange it in a more suitable place.
- Leaf fall. As previously noted, this may be due to drafts, variable lighting and temperature changes. To fix the problem, the best solution would be to move the ficus.
There are several diseases that ficus is susceptible to, among them:
- Powdery Mildew This fungal disease begins with the appearance of white plaque on the leaves, then drops appear. To eliminate this problem, it is necessary to treat the plant with fungicides.
- Rot of the roots. Rotting occurs due to the lack of drainage in the pot and abundant watering. As a result, the roots lose oxygen and begin to deteriorate. To eliminate this problem, you need to remove the plant from the pot, and if all its roots look lifeless, darkened and softened, then the ficus should be destroyed. If not all the roots are damaged, then the plant can still be reanimated by removing the affected areas and treating the remaining root system.
- Scale, or spotting on the leaves. This problem is due to improper watering schedules, low humidity, or excessive fertilizer application.
There are insects that can cause significant damage to the ficus, among them:
- Centipede. To get rid of the pest, you will have to transplant the plant, as well as completely disinfect the pot and sterilize the earth.
- Spider mite. Inadequate humidity conditions are suitable for this pest, therefore it propagates on stems and leaves. In order to get rid of this insect, it is necessary to treat the leaves with a solution of soap and water.
Omens and superstition
Some people who believe in folk signs are convinced that the presence of ficus in the house drives potential grooms away from the girl living in it. In addition, the flower is able to negatively affect the nature of men living nearby. However, in Thailand they consider this plant as sacred and able to bring happiness and good luck.
Did you know? There is a belief: if a girl is asked from her friends who are already raising a child, a sprout of a ficus, and then carefully looked after him, then you can soon become pregnant.
In China, they believe that it is harmoniously combined in the interior with furniture and other decor items, and also has a pleasant aura. Growing ficus will not take you much time and will not create inconvenience if you have spacious housing and you like to grow flowers in pots. Such a long-lived plant will surprise guests and delight the family.