Features of the use of apricot kernels
Apricot kernels are used in many areas of human life. Features of the product, as well as how apricot kernels are useful and what vitamin they contain, are described in detail below.
Chemical composition and calorie content
For food and for other purposes, not the bone itself is used, but the seed inside, also called the kernel. It has a flat shape and is hidden under a dense peel of brown color. The taste differs depending on the variety (from bitter to sweet). The chemical composition of the core (per 100 g), as well as bju, is significantly different in various sources:
- from 14 to 23 g of protein;
- 27.7–46.9 g of fat;
- 17.6–56.3 g of carbohydrates.
- 36 mg sodium and 2 mg calcium;
- 500 mg potassium and 200 mg magnesium;
- 2.5 mg of iron and 2.8 mg of zinc.
The vitamin composition of apricot seeds does not differ significantly. In them were discovered:
- thiamine and riboflavin (vitamins B1 and B2, respectively);
- niacin (nicotinic acid or vitamin PP);
- vitamin C.
Important! Apricot kernels contain amygdalin, which some sources call "vitamin B17." This name has no scientific basis. The calorie content of the product varies, depending on the source, from 440 to 530 kcal.
Is it possible to eat apricot kernels?
Dried or fresh apricot kernels can be eaten whole or used as an ingredient in the preparation of various dishes, provided that the recommended dosage is precisely followed. They also make flour, milk and butter.
The healing properties of apricot kernels for the body
The therapeutic effect of apricot kernels allows their use in traditional and alternative medicine.
- For men and women, the product has the following effects:
- improving the functioning of the heart and blood vessels due to the presence of linoleic acid, which neutralizes free radicals;
- supports the functioning of the nervous system;
- a large percentage of protein is useful for people engaged in hard physical work.
The controlled use of seeds is possible with the following diseases:
- whooping cough, bronchitis and other diseases of the upper respiratory tract. To make the cough productive, use milk from the seeds;
- arrhythmia of the heart, a folk remedy for which is considered a brewed powder from seeds;
- helminthiasis, in which it is advised to eat raw seeds on an "empty stomach";
- apricot oil is suitable for normalizing the digestive tract and for inflammation of the joints.
Find out how much apricot kernels can be eaten per day.
Hydrocyanic acid is used during the extraction of precious metals from ore, in electroplating (gilding and silvering), in the production of plastics and rubber, herbicides and growth stimulants for plants.
Possible harm and contraindications
Due to the high content of amygdalin, the product can cause significant harm to the human body, even death. What poison is in this product? Amygdalin itself is not a poison, but once it enters the gastric juice, it releases cyanides and leads to the formation of hydrocyanic acid, which can cause severe poisoning. The percentage of amygdalin depends on the plant variety and grows with increased bitterness.
- Symptoms of poisoning with uncontrolled use of seeds are:
- dysfunctions of the nervous system;
- shortness of breath, excited breathing;
- slow heart rate;
- increase in blood pressure.
Important! Apricot kernels are strictly prohibited for young children.
- Contraindications for use are:
- acute liver and gastrointestinal diseases;
- individual allergy.
How to peel an apricot kernel
The shell covering the apricot seed has a thickness of 1-2 mm and it is not easy to chop it. When struck with a blunt object (such as a stone), the core can be damaged along with the shell, which is undesirable. At home, you can use one of the following options:
- Put several seeds on half a towel in one layer, cover with the second part of the fabric. When fixing each bone through the tissue, gently hit the shell with a hammer.
- Place a bone on a thick wooden board edge. Holding fingers on the sides, hit the upper rib with a hammer.
- For cracking, you can use a tool for chopping nuts or chopping garlic.
How to take apricot kernels
In no case should you exceed the dosage of this product. It can be calculated on the basis of the proportion: 1 core per 5 kg of mass.
Learn about the health benefits of apricot.
For medicinal purposes, the product is recommended to be taken 1 hour before a meal in the morning. Schemes for using peeled apricot seeds for various diseases are as follows:
- for deworming, the recommended dose is 5 seeds, which should be eaten on an empty stomach;
- for the treatment of joints prepare tincture of vodka (100 g of crushed seeds per 1 liter);
- to restore strength and treat colds, walnut paste (urbec) is suitable, for which 50 g of seeds and honey are mixed with a blender with the addition of 40 g of butter.
The use of apricot seeds for the treatment of cancer is not confirmed by official scientific data. Take dietary supplements and supplements offered by alternative medicine only under the supervision of your doctor.
Learn about the features of dried apricot.
For cosmetic purposes, apricot oil and milk are used. On their basis, nourishing masks for skin and hair, lotions, massage mixtures, cleansers are prepared.
In many recipes, almonds are replaced with apricot kernels. Use them in baking and other desserts, preserves, salads.
Did you know? Amaretto Italian liqueur is made from almonds and / or apricot kernels. During the distillation, hydrocyanic acid decomposes in grape syrup, and the finished drink acquires a characteristic taste and aroma.
Rules for the preparation and storage of seeds
For harvesting seeds, it is necessary to select only ripe fruits, since the kernels of unripe apricots contain less nutrients and will be worse stored. The kernels freed from the shell must be dried by placing them on parchment or paper in one layer. You can use a special dryer or oven, setting it to low temperature mode. Cleaned kernels should be stored in airtight containers or cloth bags in a dry and dark place. The shelf life of dried seeds is about 1 year, and if the drying process has not been completed - 3 months.
Apricot kernels are a healthy product that should be used with extreme caution. A small amount of seeds can be successfully used for culinary and medicinal purposes.