Features of growing and caring for radishes in July
Radish is called the first spring vegetable. Therefore, inexperienced growers are surprised when they hear about its planting in July.
Is it possible to plant radishes in July
There are four stages of radish cultivation: in March, in late May, in July and in late August - early September. Traditionally, root crops are sown in open ground in early spring. All that comes after the harvest is a secondary planting.
Did you know? The name of the radish comes from the Latin "radix" - "root".
Summer sowing is associated with two problems:
- Radish loves sunlight, but daylight longer than 12 hours harms its growth. With excessive light, the vegetable goes in the direction of the arrow.
- Also, the root crop does not tolerate drought. Summer heat dries the soil without additional care. This negatively affects the quality of the fetus.
However, in July you can plant a radish. The gardener will have to take a closer look at the planting, but in the end he will be able to get a healthy crop.
Selection of the best varieties for growing in July
In preparation for planting, the gardener should decide which variety to sow. Suitable varieties of medium ripening.
Agronomists advise planting the following varieties of radishes:
- Autumn giant (different thick and long fruits of white color);
- Red giant (medium-sized drought tolerant variety with large oblong root crops);
- Mokhovsky (has round or elongated fruits of a white color);
- Würzburg (a variety of red color with rounded fruits with a diameter of up to 4 cm and an island flavor).
Did you know? Homeland radishes - the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. The inhabitants of the Mediterranean introduced the vegetable into the culture in 2 thousand BC. e.
Features of growing radish
Subsequent plant growth depends on proper seeding. With regard to radish, it is important to know how to plant it so that it does not go into the arrow. For this, there are agrotechnical standards for planting root crops.
July planting often occurs after the first harvest, so the soil is already more prepared.
After harvesting the predecessors, the soil is fertilized. For chernozem and other fertile soil types, mineral fertilizing is suitable. 1 m² of land is fed with a mixture of 35 g of superphosphate, 35 g of ammonium nitrate and 40 g of potassium salt. Bad soil is best fed with organic matter - humus or compost.
Immediately before planting in mid-summer, the land is fertilized with humus. Then they loosen it. In this case, you need to look at the variety. If the fruits are large, dig up the soil to 20 cm.
Seed selection and preparation
The main two criteria for selecting seeds are the quality of the material and the variety. Quality seeds in length reach 3 mm. They are sold in special tapes. Each grower chooses a variety independently, based on the ripening time, type of soil and taste characteristics.
Before sowing the seeds, it is advisable to sort by size. The same size material is planted nearby. Then they need to be placed in water for 12-24 hours. Soaked seeds are ready for planting.
Sowing technique and norms
To determine when exactly to plant a radish in July, gardeners look at the weather. The best time is in the middle of the month and later. When it comes time to plant radishes, daylight gradually decreases, the heat subsides. This has a positive effect on the development of the root crop.
- Draw ridges in the soil at a distance of 0.5 m from each other.
- Water the soil abundantly.
- Make small lines with a distance of up to 15 cm between them.
- In each line, lay the seeds to a depth of 2 cm. The optimal distance between them is 6 cm.
- Cover the stitches with soil.
Productivity depends on proper care. Radish planted in July is grown according to special rules.
Important! July sowing radish cannot be kept in the sun all day. Landings are covered with agrofibre 10-12 hours after sunrise.
When growing radishes, overdrying of the soil should not be allowed. In normal mode, agronomists irrigate the soil no more than 1 time in 2-3 days. In hot July, watering is increased to two times a day, in the morning and in the evening. If watered less often, the earth will take a crust. As a result, the root crop will not form properly, it will be dry and bitter.
Additionally, the earth is mulched. This is necessary to retain moisture in the ground. The radish is beneficially affected by mulch in the form of peat, sawdust or humus. It is laid out near the base of the bush. The optimum thickness of the mulch layer is up to 2 cm. In addition to moisture retention, mulching simplifies weeding and loosening.
Fertilizer during the growing season will help to accelerate the growth of root crops.
For self-cooking, you will need:
- water - 5 l;
- Mullein - 0.5 cups;
- urea - 0.5 tsp.
Stir all components thoroughly. Almost homogeneous slurry should be obtained. Her landing is sprayed once. The plant will well accept the treatment in the evening or in the morning, when there is no active exposure to the sun. The indicated quantity is enough for 1 m² of plantings.
Important! Feeding with fresh manure spoils the taste of radish.
The root system is actively developing if it receives the necessary dose of oxygen. To do this, the soil must be loosened as necessary. Parallel to this, weeds should be removed.
Pest and Disease Control
The main prevention of diseases and pests is proper care. Proper crop rotation, cultivation, watering and weed removal can protect the plant from infections and insects. If a disease or pest does appear, farmers use modern drugs to control them.
Learn more about pest and radish disease control.
The following diseases affect radishes:
- White rust . A fungal disease in which light spots and white coating appear on the leaves. For treatment, fungicides are used, for example, Folicur or Ridomil Gold.
- Mosaic of radish . An infection develops due to a virus infection. The sheet is covered with bright spots of various shapes, which are vaguely reminiscent of the details of the mosaic. There is no cure, the affected plants must be removed from the soil and burned. For prevention, in addition to proper care, the seeds are disinfected before planting. It protects disinfection with Topaz or Rovral.
- Kila . The disease is manifested by brown growths on root crops. It is almost impossible to cure them. To avoid keel, take preventative measures and disinfect seeds and soil.
- Powdery Mildew A flour-like coating appears on the tops. For treatment, fungicides are used, for example, Fundazim or Skor.
- Peronosporosis . The leaf is covered with yellow spots, which eventually turn brown. The disease is treated with drugs Quadris, Rayeck, Bordeaux mixture.
- The black leg . At the radish the stalk turns black, the leaves turn yellow. The plant is not treatable; it should be removed from the soil.
- Vascular bacteriosis . With this disease, the leaves become stained, the veins turn black. The plant is treatable at an early stage. Binoram or Fitolavin preparations are used. If the disease progresses, the bush needs to be removed and burned.
- Gray rot . Fruits are covered with putrid spots of gray color. For treatment, the use of Gamair or Teldor drugs is indicated.
Gardeners often meet the following parasites:
- Belyanka . It is dangerous at the stage of larvae, which can be identified by its green-yellow color. You can remove the pest by means of Bitoxibacillin or Entobacterin.
- Cruciferous flea . Parasitizes on leaves, differs in black color. From cruciferous fleas, a tobacco-ash mixture is used. To do this, ash and tobacco dust are mixed in equal amounts and pollinated radish tops are pollinated.
- Cabbage Moth . The damage is caused by insect larvae. To remove the pest, farmers use insecticides. The drug Ambush works perfectly.
- Rapeseed sawfly . Pest caterpillars are gray. They are destroyed by chemicals such as Fury or Mospilan. Adult insects are no less harmful. Their size does not reach 1 cm, in shape they resemble a fly with bright paws. Bitoxibacillin is used against adult sawflies.
- Crucifer bug . The body of the insect has a red-black color. Gardeners collect them manually or treat the ridges with an insecticide, for example, Aktara.
- Aphids . Small pale insects adhere to the leaves from the inside and feed on the sap of the plant. Withdraw their insecticides. Effectively acting drugs Intavir, Spark bio and other systemic chemicals.
- Cabbage Flint . This is a butterfly with wings of a light beige-gray hue and brown edges. Caterpillars can be destroyed by treatment with an insecticide, for example, Sumicidin. Adult flames are trapped with sticky substance.
Features of collection and storage
The crop of radishes ripens 3-4 weeks after planting. They dig up the vegetable immediately, because the fruits harden and are tied. Root crops are stored for up to 5 months in a cellar or refrigerator.
The July sowing radish will grow well if it is properly looked after. Shading and hydration are important factors in plant care. A competent grower who pays attention to these details will receive a large and high-quality crop.