Egg incubator - feature of the best automatic incubators
An incubator is necessary for every poultry breeder who plans to breed young animals. With its help, it is possible to achieve the highest percentage of hatchability of young animals, since temperature indicators and humidity are controlled in it. Chicks that are born artificially have no differences from naturally occurring birds. There are several types of incubators: manual, mechanical and fully automatic. You will learn how to choose a model of an automatic incubator from an article.
An incubator (lat., “Іncubare” - “I hatch chicks”) is the name of the apparatus, where at certain levels of temperature (25-40 ° C), humidity, good ventilation, the young animals are artificially removed from poultry eggs. In automatic devices, egg trays are flipped over without human intervention. Typically, a mechanism flips every 3 hours.
The coup occurs in 3 ways:
- By pumping during the movement of the grill forward and backward.
- During the operation of the roller mechanism.
- When tilting the trays by 45 °.
Did you know? The simplest incubators were made even by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians 3 thousand years ago. They were special barrels, buildings, stoves, which were heated by burning straw. The first prototype of a modern incubator appeared in the 17th century. Its inventor is the Italian J. Porta.
- The use of a domestic automatic incubator has several advantages:
- ease of use;
- minimal human intervention in the incubation process;
- high hatchability of young animals;
- low labor costs;
- Among the minuses of using home incubators are such features:
- one hundred percent fullness of trays is necessary;
- regular disinfection and difficult cleaning of foam models;
- high price.
General selection criteria
It is sometimes difficult to choose an automatic incubator, since quite a lot of models are presented. Choosing the device, you should pay attention to some parameters, namely: capacity, type of thermometer, the presence of backup power and protection against overheating, the materials used, the possibility of repair and replacement of parts.
Number of eggs
Incubators can be universal, that is, designed to hatch eggs of various poultry by replacing trays. The instructions for such devices indicate exactly how many eggs and what types of birds the apparatus can hold: from 10 to 300.
This equipment is not always present in the incubation apparatus. It allows you to distribute temperature and air more evenly. By purchasing a model with a built-in fan, you can count on the brood to turn out to be full. True, such devices are more expensive.
Easy to clean
Modern incubators are made primarily of polystyrene foam (this material makes the device lightweight and makes them cheaper). A significant disadvantage of it is the rapid absorption of odors, so it must be thoroughly washed and disinfected after each use.
This is another important point that will become decisive when choosing a manufacturer. Before buying an attractive model, you need to ask about the availability of service centers that carry out repairs, and the possibility of acquiring spare parts. Often, customers, choosing, for example, an import model, in the event of a breakdown, face the problem of the impossibility of repair work due to the lack of the necessary part on sale.
Important! Before turning on the incubator, carefully read the operating instructions. Failure and damage to the incubation material occur most often due to operational errors made by the owners of the apparatus.
Rating of the best manufacturers of automatic incubators
The range of chick hatchers is diverse today. Before buying, it is worth considering several attractive models, evaluating their advantages and disadvantages. Below is a review of automatic incubators of domestic and foreign production, which are in greatest demand.
Among these devices, for several years now, Cinderella, Kvochka, Lay, and Ideal Hen have been popular. The stable demand for these devices is explained by reliability, decent quality and optimal price.
In this device, you can display eggs of different species of birds. Various models are designed to incubate 48 to 96 eggs. The kit comes with a goose egg tray. If incubation of chicks of other species of birds is required, then the trays will need to be bought separately.
Read more about the features of the Cinderella incubator.
The external incubator coating is made of foam. Manufacturers indicate that the deviation from the set temperature can be 0.2 degrees. Flipping trays occurs every 3 hours.
- The advantages of the device include:
- convenience and ease of use;
- stable maintenance of temperature parameters and necessary humidity;
- affordable cost.
- The incubator is not without flaws, including:
- foam insides;
- the presence of micropores in the housing, from which contamination is difficult to extract;
- sometimes unstable operation of the egg flipping system;
- incapacitation of temperature sensors (and moisture) under the influence of cold, high humidity.
Important! It is forbidden to use the incubator without filling the water. Fluid is needed to evenly distribute heat and maintain a microclimate for 10 hours at the time of lack of electricity.
“The perfect hen”
According to the manufacturers, using this incubator, you can achieve one hundred percent hatching of chickens. The range is presented by models which contain from 63 to 104 eggs. There are no trays for other birds here, but they can be purchased separately.
Learn how to use the Ideal Heir Incubator.
The incubator is made of polystyrene foam. Automatic egg flipping takes place every 3 hours.
- The advantages of the device are appreciated by those who have already tried it:
- high quality heating elements;
- ease and convenience when moving from place to place;
- simplicity in operation;
- there is protection against electric shock;
- easy to find spare parts and repair the device.
- Among the shortcomings are:
- lack of a connector to connect an external battery;
- small window sizes for monitoring the process;
- Foam body, odor-absorbing and easily contaminated.
One of the most popular domestic incubators. Its popularity is due to reliability. Both manufacturers and users say that the deviation in temperature can be as little as 0.1 degrees. Using it, you can raise up to 48 chickens, up to 20 goslings, up to 38 ducklings, up to 34 turkey poults and up to 130 quail.
- The advantages of the device are as follows:
- equipped with digital electronics;
- there is a convenient display with large numbers;
- it is possible to recharge the battery;
- convenient system of adding water to the bath;
- the case well keeps heat;
- equipped with a convenient viewing window;
- the presence of an audible alarm that a failure has occurred;
- small dimensions and weight.
One drawback is the difficult loading of egg trays into the device.
This device is made of polystyrene foam and is equipped with a temperature regulator, lamp reflectors, heaters, an analog or electronic thermometer, fans. In order to be able to control the incubation process, there are 2 viewing windows on the device cover.
- Advantages of the device:
- light weight;
- ease of use;
- the ability to repair and replace parts;
- low power consumption;
- Cons are also available:
- not too high degree of reliability;
- no automatic humidity setting.
Important! The process of breeding chickens lasts 21 days, ducklings and turkey poults - 28 days, quails - 17.
In the incubator "Layer" you can get chicks of different birds (in particular, chickens - from 36 to 100 individuals). There are 2 types of models: Bi-1 and Bi-2. Their difference is that they are equipped with different temperature sensors - digital or analog - and hygrometers. It also affects the price.
- The advantages of the device are:
- simplicity in operation;
- the presence of a window to monitor the implementation of the process inside;
- the ability to connect to any external battery with a capacity of 12 V;
- complete with trays for hatching eggs of various sizes;
- affordable cost;
- a light weight.
- Among the disadvantages of the incubator are:
- uneven distribution of heat;
- difficulty cleaning and disinfecting;
- fragility of the outer shell.
With the help of the TGB incubators, 140 to 280 chicks are hatched. Most often, such devices are installed in large poultry farms and farms. They are reliable and have a number of differences from incubators of other manufacturers.
- The advantages of these devices are:
- metal case;
- removable textile cover;
- large capacity of eggs;
- equipping with an aero ionizer;
- built-in bioacoustic stimulator;
- absolute deduction;
- the presence of rugs that absorb moisture and regulate humidity;
- availability of backup power.
- There are also disadvantages, but they are much smaller, and they do not concern the quality of work:
- big weight and dimensions;
- lack of a viewing window;
- high price.
In the event of a sudden power outage, the microclimate inside the device can be maintained for 3 hours. The error in maintaining the temperature is 0.3-0.5 degrees. There are models with a glass door.
- The main advantages of the device are:
- good price / quality ratio;
- high accuracy of maintaining temperature and humidity indicators.
- The cons indicate:
- not too convenient to use the remote control;
- the need to adjust humidity manually (on some models).
Foreign manufacturers also made sure to introduce many of their models to our market. Only a small part of the most popular imported incubators was included in the review of the article.
These incubators are manufactured by a Chinese company. Designed for breeding various types of farm birds. Models: different, you can lay from 24 to 96 eggs. The devices are made of plastic and equipped with automatic overturn and temperature control, a fan, a hygrometer and a convenient digital display. The error in temperature indicators is 0.1 degrees. Water in the tank can be poured into a special hole with a syringe. The percentage of hatchability declared by the manufacturer is 83-85%.
- The advantages of the device are many:
- has small weight and dimensions;
- simple and easy to use;
- has a beautiful design;
- the presence of a wide viewing panel on the side wall;
- economically consumes electricity;
- it is easy to wash;
- the incubation process can be observed through the side walls of glass;
- The disadvantages are still there:
- no backup power;
- fragile material on the case;
- the smell of plastic may exude at first.
R-com King SURO20
Korean household incubator is made of high impact plastic. It provides for automatic cantilever overturn and climate control controllers, a large viewing window, and a digital display. Subject to all recommendations on the operation, the breeding of young animals of any farm birds can reach 100%.
- The advantages of such a device include:
- the best price / quality ratio for a domestic incubator;
- modern design;
- lack of inaccessible places for cleaning;
- simple operation with 3 buttons;
- high accuracy of automation;
- complete with universal tray.
- There are few disadvantages:
- when closing the lid, make sure that the tube responsible for heating and the tube do not come into contact with water;
- sometimes the rotational mechanism malfunctions when incubating heavy eggs;
- only distilled water must be added.
Novital Covatutto 54
This incubator is made by Italian experts. It is made of plastic, with a transparent cover and a powerful fan. It is possible to incubate not only various bird eggs, but also reptile eggs. The temperature and humidity parameters can be adjusted to your needs.
- The positive that the device has:
- stable long work;
- low power consumption;
- Beautiful design.
- Disadvantages do not affect the quality of the incubator:
- sensitivity to voltage drops in the network;
- there is no humidity controller;
- high price.
Features of incubation using a mini-incubator
Incubation in a mini-incubator can be divided into 4 stages:
- Preparation for work.
- Bookmark incubation material.
- Breeding young animals.
- Hatching young.
Video: Step-by-step instructions for hatching chickens in an incubator
Egg laying is done already in the incubator, warmed up to the required temperature. In this case, the material to be laid must also be warm. If it was stored in a cool room, then it should be brought to a warm place some time before laying. It is desirable to disinfect the shell with a weak solution of potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate).
We recommend that you learn how to make an incubator with automatic egg flipping with your own hands.
It is important to remember that the fresher the eggs, the greater the percentage of hatchability. It is allowed to store chicken eggs for up to 20 days, eggs of geese and ducks - up to 10.
Before laying, you also need such an important procedure as the selection of eggs and ovoscopy (assessment of the contents of the egg using transmission).
- irregular shape;
- shell contamination;
- rough shell;
- small or too large mass;
- marble coloring.
- with a heterogeneous shell having thickening, compaction or thinning;
- with a poorly distinguishable air chamber;
- with a yolk that is not centered.
Read more about the temperature conditions in the chicken incubator.
For each bird species, airing is required starting from a certain day, as well as adjustments to the microclimate parameters. For example, when hatching eggs, the temperature and humidity during 20-21 days of incubation will need to be changed 3 times:
- initial parameters: temperature - 38 °, humidity - 60-70%;
- the first time the parameters change after 7 days: within 4 days the temperature gradually decreases to 37.5 °, humidity - up to 50%;
- starting from day 12, the temperature gradually decreases by 0.2 degrees, the humidity rises to 70-80%;
- когда послышатся первые звуки (писк цыплят), температуру устанавливают на отметке 37, 2°, а влажность — на 78-80%.
После вылупления птенцов оставляют в инкубаторе на сутки, чтобы они подсохли, после чего их извлекают и помещают в брудер. По окончании работы проводят мойку и дезинфекцию устройства.
Did you know? Невооружённому глазу кажется, что яичная скорлупа плотная и цельная. Однако если вооружиться лупой, то можно увидеть на ней много пор. Они необходимы для поступления кислорода к зародышу и выхода углекислого газа. В течение 21 дня, когда цыплёнок пребывает в яйце, туда попадает около 4 л кислорода и выходит 4 л углекислого газа, 8 л водного пара. Разведение сельскохозяйственных птиц — это довольно прибыльный бизнес, который практикуют как в промышленных масштабах, так и в небольших фермерских хозяйствах. Он невозможен без бытовых инкубаторов.
Наиболее удобны при эксплуатации автоматические аппараты. При их выборе нужно обращать внимание на страну-изготовителя, производительность, внутреннее устройство и материалы изготовления, гарантийные обязательства, отсутствие / наличие резервного источника питания. Также желательно ознакомиться с отзывами о моделях тех людей, которые уже ими пользовались.