Dill seeds: properties, indications and contraindications for use
Dill can be found in almost every garden or summer cottage. Its greens are often used in the preparation of salads and soups, dill umbrellas are an essential component of pickles and pickles when harvesting vegetables for the winter. In turn, dill seeds are actively used in folk medicine to treat many painful conditions and prevent disease.
The chemical composition of dill seeds
Dill seeds have in their composition:
- fatty oil, which contains oleic, linoleic, palmitic and petrozelinic acids - 15–18%;
- protein - 14–16%;
- essential oil - 2.5-4%;
- fats - 14%;
- carbohydrates - 55%
Calorie content of 100 g of seeds - 305 kcal.
Did you know? Dill grains have been used for medicinal purposes since the time of Ancient Egypt, where mentions of them recorded on papyrus were found. Information is also found in written sources found in modern Europe, dating from the beginning of our era. They say that they served as incense, and were also used to improve digestion and good sleep.
In addition, the composition of the seeds includes:
- flavonoids, mainly quercetin;
- nicotinic and ascorbic acids;
Dill Seed Treatment
The unique combination of elements that make up the seeds can significantly affect a person’s health status. They are taken both for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes. As a rule, based on the seeds, a decoction or infusion is prepared.
Benefits and healing properties
The healing properties of dill grains are very valuable, have a wide range of applications and are effectively used to improve health.
- The benefits of seeds are as follows:
- antimicrobial: affect various types of bacteria and fungi;
- remove toxins. The action is similar to the antioxidant property of ascorbic acid, which is able to actively fight free radicals;
- lower cholesterol, improving the functioning of the cardiovascular system;
- carminative, which helps to cope with flatulence and malfunctions in the intestines;
- stimulate the production of the hormone progesterone, helping to stabilize the menstrual cycles in women of reproductive age;
- help inhibit the growth of cancer cells in certain types of cancer;
- the anti-rheumatoid property helps to improve the condition of rheumatoid arthritis, and also minimize bone loss after menopause in older women;
- antidepressant. A large number of B vitamins normalizes the nervous system and eliminates hypersensitivity and susceptibility, improves sleep;
- sweatshops effect.
- What dill seeds help from:
- from high blood pressure, the vessels expand and their spasm is eliminated;
- with diseases of the internal organs: bladder, intestines, kidneys;
- normalize sleep in both children and adults;
- with colds, flu or viral infections contribute to sweating and elimination of cramping;
- when coughing - an expectorant effect;
- normalize the work of the stomach and intestines, activate and enhance the outflow of bile, reduce discomfort with gastritis and heartburn;
- with diseases and inflammation of the kidneys, have a diuretic effect;
- eliminate colic and flatulence;
- with atherosclerosis they effectively lower cholesterol;
- with hypertension they help to reduce pressure, a decoction of seeds with angina pectoris is also effective;
- with toxicosis during gestation and to stimulate the production of breast milk in young mothers;
- with inflammation of the mucous membranes of the eyes and other bacterial diseases of the visual system, lotions can be made from a decoction of dill grains.
Those who drank dill water or decoctions know that they have a pleasant, slightly sweet taste.
Treatment with dill seeds should be carried out with caution, since this natural healing agent has a fairly active effect, which, if used improperly, can harm the human body. First of all, it can be an allergic reaction and individual intolerance to the product.
Important! People with various chronic diseases, before starting taking dill seed-based medications, should consult with a healthcare professional.
It is also worth considering the fact that this natural preparation can have different effects on people, it will help someone to cope with the disease, and it will not affect anyone. The preparation of medicinal decoctions and tinctures should be carried out in strict accordance with the recipe. You should know exactly how to use them, in what dosage and how often to use - only then can the desired result be achieved.
It is also worth noting that to obtain benefits, and not the opposite effect, you can not mix different plant components on your own. You need to know and remember the rules for their compatibility, combining no more than 3 ingredients that have undergone the same processing.
Contraindications and side effects
- There is a list of people who are contraindicated in taking dill seeds, these include:
- hypotonic, since the effect of seeds can cause a temporary decrease or even partial loss of vision, provoke fainting;
- people with low acidity of the stomach;
- allergies, due to the fact that the composition of the seeds contains essential oils in a sufficiently large volume;
- women during menstruation - dill preparations can provoke great blood loss, because blood under their action becomes more liquid;
- people suffering from ailments of the circulatory system who have problems with blood coagulation;
- patients with type 1 diabetes;
- children under 12 years old.
With caution and under the supervision of a gynecologist, it is worth treating pregnant women with drinks from dill seeds, since they can increase the tone of the uterus muscles and provoke premature birth or miscarriage.
Side effects include:
Traditional medicine recipes
Traditional medicine actively uses the beneficial properties of dill seeds. You can take them in a different form: you can make and drink a decoction or infusion based on seeds, you can prepare ground dill powder and take it in a diluted form with water.
The main thing is the use of such drugs:
- there should be no contraindications;
- should be agreed with the doctor in the presence of chronic diseases;
- medicines should be prepared in accordance with the recipe and taken in the right amount.
To prepare drinks based on dill grains, you can use green, freshly picked seeds and already dried ones. In order for the product to act more actively and show a more effective result, the seeds must be crushed.
Did you know? Alcohol dill tincture can be combined well and served on a table with lamb, poultry, salted fish and ear.
As a rule, from seeds are made:
- alcohol tincture on vodka, which has anti-inflammatory and vasodilating properties;
- infusion of seeds, which is brewed with boiling water and is used to treat the intestines, stomach, bladder, and other internal organs;
- concentrated infusion, which is effective in cystitis, hemorrhoids, etc .;
- oil extract;
- dill water;
- milk-based drink with antiparasitic properties.
Grains of odorous dill are used to get rid of excess fluid from the body.
For these purposes, you can prepare various means:
- Infusion. 1 tbsp. l brew seeds in a thermos, pour 300 ml of boiling water. After 60 minutes, the liquid is filtered. Drink this drink of 150 ml in the morning and evening for 3 weeks half an hour before a meal. Then you need to pause 3-5 days and re-go the course.
- Lotions on the eyes. Mix 1 tsp. the main component with 1 tbsp. l chopped mint leaves and pour 1 cup of water. Put the container on low heat, gradually bring to a boil and brew for 10 minutes. After which the broth must be cooled and filtered. Moisten cotton pads and lay on the surface of the lowered eyelid for 5-10 minutes.
For lactation of a nursing mother
When a shortage of milk occurs in a nursing mother, the process of its production is disrupted, the infusion of dill seed can have a stimulating effect, and lactation will return to normal:
- pour one tablespoon of dill seeds into 250 ml of hot water and send to infuse in a thermos. There, the infusion should stay for 2 hours, after which it is taken half a glass twice a day;
- chest compress. If the breast is full of milk and swells, then dill compresses will help to cope with this condition. To do this, 100 g of seeds must be poured with a liter of boiling water and let it brew for several hours. After cooling, the liquid is used as a compress.
Important! Drinking dill water, a nursing mother can stimulate the production of breast milk and calm the nervous system. In addition, the baby, eating breast milk, also benefits from this product, the likelihood of colic is reduced.
With gallstone disease
As a result of an excessive accumulation of bile during cholelithiasis, microliths begin to settle, which eventually transform into stones.
With stones in the gallbladder, it is recommended to take dill water, which has a choleretic and diuretic property:
- seeds in the amount of 2 tbsp. l pour 400 ml of boiled water and put on low heat. Warm up the liquid for 15 minutes and strain, allow to cool. Warm broth take 3-4 times a day for half a glass. The course of treatment is 2 weeks;
- grind the seeds to a powder in a coffee grinder or blender. Eat ½ tsp with food. powder, washed down with water.
With menopause, a woman suffers from sudden tides, and this can bring some discomfort.
To improve well-being and mitigate the condition, traditional medicine suggests the use of such means:
- make powder from the seeds by grinding them in a coffee grinder or grinding them in a mortar. Take 1 tsp. morning and evening, 10 minutes after eating. Such treatment is carried out for 21–28 days, which on average is the duration of one menstrual cycle;
- 3 tbsp. l sunflower seeds pour 3 tbsp. boiling water and leave to infuse for 1 hour. Then dilute the resulting infusion by adding another 1 liter of water. Drink the resulting drink should be three times a day after eating, after half an hour, ½ tbsp. After 2 weeks, the woman's well-being should become better, the frequency of hot flashes is becoming less. After a month of such treatment, the sensation of hot flashes is almost nullified.
Important! Caution should be given to the use of dill infusions for people with hypotension.
With diseases of the stomach and intestines
For the intestines and with gastric ulcer, the normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, it is necessary to take diuretic and choleretic decoctions and infusions:
- 1 tsp pour seeds in a glass of boiling water, pour liquid into a thermos or wrap in warm, insist for several hours. Strain the resulting drink and drink 100 ml after each meal;
- from flatulence helps taking dill water in small doses throughout the day. For cooking, you need 1 tsp. pour a glass of boiling water, cover the liquid and let it brew for several hours, then strain;
- diuretic drink based on 1 tbsp. l seeds filled with 500 ml of boiling water. Leave the liquid to infuse for 30 minutes, after which they filter and drink 1 glass 1 hour before eating.
Dill seeds also affect men's health.
With prostatitis and adenoma, the prostate is effectively used to treat:
- dry seeds;
- brewed with boiling water or in milk;
- in combination with other plant components.
Here are some recipes:
- grind grains to a powder state. Take 1 tbsp. l main ingredient and pour 200 ml of boiling water. Allow the drink to brew for 1.5 hours and drink on an empty stomach with sediment. The treatment lasts a week;
- 1 cup dill seeds mixed with 2 tbsp. l Valerian root and add 2 tbsp. liquid honey. Take 1 tsp. twice a day.
You will also be interested to know if dill seeds help with cholecystitis.
In case of disorders of the psycho-emotional state, insomnia and tinnitus, it is recommended to take the next drink.
Pour into a pan or stewpan 3 tbsp. l sunflower seeds and add 0.5 l of cahors. Send the stewpan to low heat for 15 minutes. Then strain the drink and place in a dark glass container or wrap the jar with cloth or paper. Take a medicine of 50 ml daily before bedtime.
People suffering from type 2 diabetes are recommended to take a spicy decoction, it can be prepared according to one of the following recipes:
- pour 30 g of seeds into the container and pour them with 1 liter of water. Next, the stewpan with the liquid is sent to the fire for several minutes, and then allowed to infuse for 10 minutes. Use this medicine in a glass three times a day;
- 1 tsp pour the main ingredient 200 ml of boiling water and leave to infuse for 1 hour. After time, drain the liquid. Children suffering from diabetes can drink this water by dividing the daily dose of 100 ml in several doses throughout the day.
We recommend that you find out how useful dill seeds are for the pancreas.
With colic in a baby
For infants, dill water is very important because it helps to neutralize colic and eliminates bloating, which are the main causes of crying in infants during the adaptation and start of work of all internal organs and systems of the tiny organism.
A pinch of seeds, which is approximately 5-7 g, is poured with a glass of boiling water and allowed to infuse for 20 minutes. Then you need to strain the liquid through cheesecloth. You can also add as many fennel seeds to the drink. The baby is given no more than 1 tsp. infusion. Vodichka can be mixed with breast milk. The effect is observed when taking dill water three times a day for 5-10 minutes before feeding.
Shelf life of dill seeds for treatment
In order for the product to retain its useful properties as much as possible, it must be properly stored. If the seeds are harvested with your own hands, then, first of all, cut dill panicles with drying seeds and send them to a dry room for drying for several days. Then the umbrellas shake well over the spread paper or cloth and collect the seeds, which are sent to a cool bag in a paper bag.
If seeds are purchased from a pharmacy, they are also stored in paper packaging. You can store seeds in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid in the freezer. You can also store dill seeds on the refrigerator door.
Read also about the medicinal properties and the use of dill in traditional medicine.
The shelf life of seeds after harvesting can reach 3 years, the main thing is that the product is well dried and not exposed to moisture. The benefit of this herbal product is very great, because a pleasant and aromatic dill drink can have a positive effect on a person’s well-being, give him strength and health.