Description and cultivation of roses Ecuador
Roses are an integral classic attribute of almost every gala event. And the primacy of the beauty and variety of colors of these flowers belongs to varieties growing in Ecuador. Growing on the slopes of volcanoes, they are large, and clean mountain air contributes to their rapid growth. In this article, we consider the description and the most popular varieties of roses Ecuador, the features of their growing and possible flower diseases.
Description and features of roses Ecuador
The rose variety Ecuador was named after the country where these flowers were grown. Roses are amazingly beautiful and especially large in size.
Did you know? In Ecuador, a unique variety of roses, Rainbow, is grown, the flowers of which have colorful petals. Most in demand are flowers with stems 60 cm long.
Description of the external characteristics of roses Ecuador is presented below:
- The stem height of the flower can reach 1.2 m, depending on the variety. The stalk is strong and thick. Some varieties have small spikes on the stem.
- The leaves of the plant are leathery, with a shiny surface. They have a dark green color and are located on the stem at some distance from each other.
- The heads of blooming flowers are large, about 13 cm in diameter. The buds are dense, oblong. Their length is about 10 cm. Each flower can contain up to 60 petals, therefore it looks large and magnificent.
- The color of roses depends on the variety and can be bright yellow, lilac, pink, scarlet, coral, white, etc. There are varieties of two-color roses that combine different shades. The colors of all colors are very rich and vibrant.
- The aroma is weak, but pleasant. It is dominated by delicate oriental notes.
- One bush of Ecuadorian roses has been growing for 10 years. In the homeland of a plant, its flowering lasts all year round with small interruptions.
- After cutting roses, Ecuador retains an attractive appearance and freshness for a long time, therefore it is transported around the world.
The best varieties
There are about 400 species of Ecuadorian roses. Between themselves, they differ in size and color of flowers, as well as some other external characteristics.
Did you know? The most popular rose colors in Ecuador are red, pink, yellow and white.
List with names and a brief description of the best types of Ecuadorian roses:
- Freedom (Freedom) . One of the most popular varieties. The stem of the rose can reach 1 m in length. The flower heads are in the shape of a glass; the buds do not open. Petals have a velveteen surface, painted in saturated red color.
- Vendela The flowers are tall (up to 1 m) and very lush, have an elegant appearance. Ovate buds with a pointed tip. Each flower can contain up to 30 terry petals of a delicate beige hue.
- Titanic Flowers of this variety are large (up to 14 cm in diameter), which served as the main reason for choosing this name of the variety. Pink flowers reach a height of 1 m, have a cupped shape and a light pleasant aroma. In one flower can be up to 40 petals.
- Limbo (Limbo) . The stem length of the flower is about 80 cm. The buds are tightly closed and have a conical shape. Flowers are distinguished by a peculiar coloring - terry petals of saturated yellow color with a slight green tint.
- Avalanche (Avalanche) . Roses of this variety can reach 1 m in height. The bud is quite large and consists of white terry petals with a slight green tint. Roses Avalange are characterized by long flowering, which lasts until the first frost.
- Topaz Plants of this variety have a long and strong stem. The flower is large, in the shape of an elongated glass. Its dense terry petals are resistant to tearing, have a rich bright raspberry color with a slight lilac shimmer. The flower exudes a delicate aroma.
- Nostalgia Representatives of this variety can reach a height of 80 cm. The buds consist of wavy petals at the edges that give the flower a special beauty. Their color is white, with a cherry-red border around the edges. The opened flower is large, has a cupped shape and a pleasant delicate aroma.
- Sexy Red . The flower has a stem of about 80 cm, with dark green leaves and rare spikes. Buds can reach 12 cm in height and 6.5 cm in diameter. The flowers are bright scarlet, have a bright pleasant aroma and can retain freshness up to 2 weeks from the moment of cutting.
- Bikini (Bikini) . The stems of the flowers of this variety are low, up to 70 cm. The buds have a rounded shape, and after opening they look very magnificent. Saturated yellow flowers.
- Miss Piggy Flowers of this variety can grow to a height of 80 cm. The bud has the oblong shape of a regular glass, its height is up to 10 cm. The petals are soft pink, but closer to the center of the flower their color becomes more saturated and looks like peach.
Features of cultivation and care
Roses from sunny Ecuador can grow well only in warm climates, when the air temperature practically does not change during the year. Many flower growers tried to grow them in less favorable conditions of our climate, but the flowers received were significantly different from Ecuadorian ones.
Did you know? The source of a pleasant and delicate aroma of roses are microscopic glands located on the petals of a flower.
At home, Ecuadorian roses are grown in compliance with such mandatory requirements:
- plantations with roses are always arranged so that the sun's rays fall on them perpendicularly;
- flowers are never treated with chemicals, even to kill pests or cure diseases;
- Ecuador roses grow on the slopes of volcanoes, the soil of which is especially fertile and contains a lot of ash, stimulating the rapid growth of flowers;
- clean high mountain air contributes to the formation of large and lush buds;
- plantations with flowers have a good technical base. With its help, an analysis is made of the state and chemical composition of the soil, its moisture level;
- pure water from mountain rivers is used for watering flowers;
- watering and fertilizing on the plantations of Ecuadorian roses is carried out automatically, based on indicators of soil conditions received on a central computer.
You can try to grow an Ecuador rose on your own at home, but this will require patience and certain conditions.
At home, you can plant an Ecuadorian rose, taken from a bouquet. You can try to root it in water or a pot of soil, which is kept at room temperature. But even observing all the rules for planting the flowers described below does not guarantee a successful result.
Important! The highest probability of rooting of the Ecuadorian rose is achieved between June and August. A list of step-by-step steps for planting an Ecuadorian rose is presented below:
- Trim the leaves and flower head with scissors. Using a sharp knife, remove the spikes, and cut the stem from both sides.
- Cut the stem into 2-3 small cuttings of 15–20 cm. Each of them should have 2 buds - above and below.
- Make 2-3 oblique incisions in the lower part of each stalk (under the kidneys).
- Lower the cut of the cut into a solution of manganese for 40 minutes.
- Put the cuttings on paper for a couple of hours to drain the remaining manganese solution.
- Place the bottom of the cuttings in a solution of the root growth stimulator for 24 hours.
- Set the stage. It should contain in equal proportions sheet land, wood ash, peat and sand.
- To disinfect the soil, calcine in the oven. Pour it into a pot or flowerbed, pour a little water.
- Place the handle in the ground half the length, placing it at a slight slope. Cover it with a glass cap and place it in a well-lit place with a temperature of + 18 ° С at night to + 25 ... + 30 ° С in the afternoon.
- When the topsoil dries, moderate cuttings can be watered.
- If rooting is successful, after 1.5–2 months, several leaflets form on the handle. After that, the glass cap can be removed from the seedling.
- A year after successful rooting, the flower is transplanted to a permanent place.
Watering and fertilizing
After the stalk is rooted in the soil and young leaves appear on it, it continues to be moderately watered. In this case, only settled water of room temperature is used. The soil should always be moist, but you should not allow excess water in the pot. The drying up of an earthen coma can also lead to the death of the flower. Watering the plant is carried out under the root.
The pot should have drainage holes to drain excess water. During intense heat or in a room with dry air, it is permissible to lightly spray the leaves of the plant with water. After transplanting roses Ecuador to a permanent place make top dressing.
This must be done according to the following rules:
- nitrogen-containing fertilizers are applied once in the spring to stimulate the growth of green mass;
- organic fertilizers (ash, chicken droppings, mullein) should be applied 2-3 times in the first month of summer and 1 time in August. They are needed for abundant flowering and after it to replenish nutrient reserves in the soil. To feed plants before flowering, saltpeter can be used;
- universal mineral fertilizers are applied 1 time in July, after flowering is completed;
- Feeding containing phosphorus, you need to make 1 time in September, in order to enrich the soil with nutrients in the spring.
Do I need shelter for the winter?
Ecuadorian roses have a low resistance to cold temperature. Therefore, they are very difficult to grow on open ground in regions with cold winters. In this case, the flowers require a mandatory shelter, but even it often cannot protect the flowers from low air temperature and cold wind. In winter, plants are highly spudded with earth, as far as possible they bend stems down and cover them with a film. Can also be used to shelter branches of spruce branches.
Learn all the features of rose care:
How is the flowering period
Under natural growing conditions, Ecuadorian roses bloom continuously. New buds are constantly forming on the lignified shoots of bushes. The duration of flowering is different and depends on the variety. From the moment of formation and opening of the bud to its wilting, 10 to 20 days pass.
Did you know? The total area of rose plantations in Ecuador is about 4000 hectares. When grown at home, Ecuadorian roses can bloom in early June, and then again in August.
Diseases and pests of roses
When grown in Ecuador, roses of this variety are little susceptible to disease or pest attack. This is explained by the fact that they grow in the conditions of a 12-hour daylight, their watering is controlled by automatic analysis of soil moisture, and harmful bacteria can hardly reproduce in clean mountain air.
When growing varieties of Ecuadorian roses at home, they are unable to provide such thorough care, so the flowers are susceptible to diseases and insect pests:
- Sunburn . They arise from a too bright sun, look like dark or yellow spots on the leaves. To fix the problem, the flower must be shaded from direct sunlight.
- Black spotting . It manifests itself in the form of dark spots on the leaves, can lead to a complete fall of the green mass of the plant. The cause of the disease is stagnation of air near the plants and increased soil moisture. To save the plant, it is sprayed with a fungicide solution (for example, “Skor”).
- Powdery Mildew The disease belongs to the fungal and is manifested by the formation of a white coating on the stem and leaves. It occurs with an excess of nitrogen-containing fertilizers, drafts or in conditions of high soil moisture. For treatment, the flowers are sprayed with special preparations ("Topaz", "Fundazol") clearly following the instructions on the package. After that, adjustments are made to the watering and fertilizing regimen.
- Gray rot . It affects flower heads and buds, they are covered with a gray coating and quickly fall off. The disease occurs with excessive watering or lack of sunlight. It is treated by spraying with an aqueous solution of drugs (for example, Chistotsvet) according to the instructions on the package.
- Scaffold, spider mite . Pests appear on the leaves of roses and suck out all the nutritious juices from them. The flower dries and dies. The reason for the appearance of insects is high air temperature and low humidity. To get rid of pests, flowers are sprayed with insecticides.
Roses from Ecuador are rightfully considered the largest and most beautiful in the world. A variety of varieties and bright juicy colors allow you to choose a flower according to individual preferences. But in their homeland, flowers grow in very specific natural conditions, so growing them at home is very difficult.