Decorative breeds of chickens with photos and names
The homeland of almost all dwarf chickens is Indonesia, China, and the Japanese islands. Brought to Europe, they became an ornament of aristocratic courtyards, gradually spreading around the world. Unusual breeds of chickens provide aesthetic pleasure, and breeding of rare specimens brings good profit - more on this in the article.
Decorative chicken breeding goals
Breeders have been breeding ornamental chickens for many years, crossing different breeds and achieving maximum results: it is small in size, beautiful plumage, stable immunity.
Modern dwarf breeds are bred, guided by aesthetic and business goals:
- Decoration of the house with chickens with bright plumage, sonorous voice, unusually small sizes.
- Egg production for your table and for sale.
- Growing chickens for sale.
- Growing exotic meat breeds for delivery to restaurants, on the table of lovers of quality chicken.
Decorative breeds of chickens
More than 250 breeds of domestic chickens are known. A special place is occupied by decorative birds, which farmers, breeders and private traders are engaged in breeding and cultivation.
Important! It is better to buy bred chickens from well-known breeders who confirm the quality and cleanliness of the bird.
The Dutch breeder Jan Steverink brought the decorative chickens Ayam Tzemani from Indonesia to Europe.
- meat, internal organs, eyes, beak and claws are black;
- adult weight - from one and a half to two kilograms;
- trapezoidal body with rounded chest and adjacent wings;
- feathers are deep black, cast with greens;
- the cock's tail is high, magnificent, braids are pronounced;
- eggs weighing up to 50 grams with a creamy pink shell.
Did you know? In the homeland of hens, Tsemani is considered lucky and used in rituals.
The cause of the black color of all organs, even the eyeballs, is the gene that modulates pigment. The presence of light shades indicates the impurity of the bird. Exotic breed of chickens is small in European countries and the USA, has a very high price: in Indonesia - from 200 dollars, in Europe - up to several thousand dollars.
- The following factors are considered disadvantages:
- high cost of eggs and chickens;
- low productivity;
- mandatory warming of the chicken coop in the cold season.
Chicks require more attention than an adult bird. They are very fearful, in case of stress, anxiety can cause injury.
The breed was bred by an English breeder John Seabright, crossing Bentamka and Polish chicken, while adding a little Hamburg blood. Fashionable chickens were bred in aristocratic families.
The main external signs:
- small compact body with a very convex chest;
- the same plumage in chicken and rooster (no braids on the tail);
- plumage of golden or silver color with brightly outlined edges and elegant pattern;
- drooping wings, fan-shaped tail, slightly bent beak;
- weight of adults - from 400 g (chicken) to 500 g (rooster);
- egg weight - up to 30 grams.
Learn more about how to properly grow seabirds.
The most beautiful chickens of the Sebright breed are silver, have the following features:
- shiny black border around the edge of each feather;
- graceful little body;
- pink crest adorned with “pearls”.
Eggs and meat of chickens of this breed are distinguished by high taste qualities in comparison with other dwarf congeners.
- Cons of the breed:
- low egg production - from 50 to 100 eggs per year;
- poor acclimatization;
- the need for insulation and additional lighting of the chicken coop;
- complicated chickens care.
The morale and unusual bright blue color of the eggshell distinguish Araucan chickens from other dwarf breeds. Originally from South America, the birds were bred by the same tribe in Chile. Take a closer look
- lack of tail in a rooster and chicken;
- a small head, a slightly bent back beak, pronounced whiskers;
- the comb resembles a bean pod;
- earrings, red ears;
- wide chest and short back;
- wings of moderate length tightly adjacent to the body;
- adult bird weight - up to two kilograms (rooster);
- various colors - can be white and black, silver and golden.
The cocky character of the males is compensated by the calm disposition and good egg production of the females.
- Difficulties in breeding:
- the breed is very rare, is expensive;
- pugnacious roosters often arrange fights with neighbors, which may result in the death of the enemy;
- lack of instinct for brooding in females.
Araucans are unpretentious to the conditions of detention and feed, their diet is not much different from ordinary chickens. When creating optimal conditions, these birds are characterized by high productivity, and their meat has dietary qualities.
Plumage from soft fluff distinguishes silk chicken grown in China since the 7th century. In the 13th century, Marco Polo introduced the bird to European society. The delicate taste and nutritive value of meat, eggs, fluff of small roosters and chickens have made them popular among farmers and consumers.
- plumage, similar to silky fur due to the structure of the feather - a rod covered with fluffs;
- crest on the head. He has more roosters, a beard at the bottom of his neck;
- the body is compact, a small head, wings tightly fit to the body;
- dark meat and bones rich in amino acids are used for broths that are considered beneficial for the stomach and women's health;
- eggs are light brown, their weight is 30 grams. The representative of the breed carries about 100 eggs per year;
- adult bird weight - up to one and a half kilograms;
- there are five toes on the bird’s feet (three look forward, two look back).
Did you know? The fluff of Chinese silk chickens is sheared once every two months and used similarly to sheep’s wool.
- The disadvantages of the breed are indicated in the following factors:
- strict adherence to the regime, the use of only high-quality feed is important;
- requires constant cleaning of the chicken coop;
- compliance with the temperature and humidity regime in the chicken coop;
- constant monitoring of temperature (should not be lower than +30 ° C) when growing chicks.
Chinese silk hens do not know how to fly, respectively, a paddock for walking can be fenced with a low fence, taking care of protection from predators.
Introduced to China from Japan. In the 7th century, it became popular in the countries of the Old World, and later - around the world. Many unusual breeds of chickens came from Bentamok, whose main qualities are motley feathers, a sonorous voice, a pronounced maternal instinct.
- small body, compact, dense. Direct posture;
- the head is small, leaf-shaped crest;
- feathers, tail feathers are long, because of which the wings reach the ground;
- the tail of the rooster is lush, braids are well developed;
- the color is bright, brown with black; shiny feathers with a green tint on the tail and chest. Females are red, lighter in tone;
- adult rooster weighs 1 kg;
- white, cream eggs weighing up to 50 grams;
- some representatives of the Bentamok breed have a crest on the head, plumage on the legs.
- Cons of breeding:
- high mortality of chickens of one day old;
- compulsory availability of walking and green food.
Chickens of the Bentham breed have stable immunity, they get used to the person well. They hatch eggs very well, take care of the offspring.
Bred in the village of Pavlovo, Nizhny Novgorod province in Russia, the bright breed of hens became the ancestor of Sultan hens in Turkey, Crested ornamental hens in Europe. They are characterized by a golden and silver color, each feather is marked with an oval spot, at the ends of the fly feathers - a dark mark in the form of a Latin V. Learn more
Exterior performance and performance:
- lightweight body is directed horizontally. A compact body with a small head, a slightly bent beak. Feathers on the neck create an elegant collar;
- plumage of crests in the form of a wide helmet is oriented upwards, does not close the eyes the color of ripe cherries, earrings, earlobes are hidden under feathers;
- a small poorly developed transverse scallop is located above the base of the beak;
- on the narrowed part of the body - a high-set vertical tail with brightly protruding braids;
- adult bird weight - from 1.4 kg to 1.8 kg;
- egg production is up to 80 eggs per year, white eggs weighing up to 50 grams.
Hens of the Pavlovsk breed are active birds, they like walks in the fresh air, poorly tolerate enclosed spaces.
- Negative breeding rates:
- the rarity of the breed determines the high cost of chickens;
- reduced productivity, it is better to get monthly adolescents.
The table variety of chickens bred in central France was transformed into exhibition specimens thanks to lush sideburns, plumage of paws, and a thick soft collar.
- heavy body with short strong legs, with a slightly flattened small head;
- the crest is small, the earrings are hidden in the whiskers;
- high tail, males have braids;
- the main feather is short. The plumage of the collar is long, lowers onto the back;
- color brown, salmon brown with white in roosters;
- ripen quickly. In the first year, a layer is capable of producing up to 170 eggs. With age, the rate decreases;
- the eggshell is brown, strong. Egg weight - up to 70 grams;
- meat qualities are the main advantage of the faverole. An adult rooster reaches 4 kilogram weight, chicken - 2.5-3 kg.
Find out more about breed faverol chickens.
Rapid growth and maturation are accompanied by difficulties:
- careful balancing of feed is required to avoid obesity and reduce egg production;
- It is important to equip large aviaries for walking the bird family.
The calm nature of French chickens contributes to their maintenance and breeding in the household without much labor and hassle.
Asian ornamental chicken spread in the 18th century. An elegant small body, bright plumage of a variety of colors, the activity of roosters and calm in chickens characterize this breed.
- a strong body with short legs, a small round head. Convex chest;
- high tail with clearly defined pigtails. Long, scattering surface of the earth, wings. Lush feathers around the neck;
- the beak is short, strong;
- the color is diverse, there are feathers of such colors - wheat, golden with black, silver;
- the mass of males - 600 g, females - 400 g;
- eggs weighing 30 grams, up to 150 pieces per year.
Dwarf Shabo promising for growing and maintenance. The chemical composition of the egg, the taste indicators of meat do not differ from hens of large breeds.
- There are negative points for breeders:
- low life expectancy;
- mandatory warming of rooms.
Spanish white-faced chickens
Black Minorca and the fighting cock are parents of the Spanish Spirits, who have high productivity, good meat quality and egg production. Dark eyes on a snow-white head are the main distinguishing feature of the appearance of this breed.
- black feathers of a gray shade;
- high-set round head with a red beak, scallop, large catkins;
- eggshell white with a strong shell, the weight of which is 55 grams. Apply up to 180 pieces per year;
- adult bird weighs up to 3 kg in a rooster, 2.5 kg in chicken.
Important! Spanish chicken meat and egg meat is a good mother and mother hen. Chicken survival is 96%.
- the device of the chicken coop requires large windows for the entry of sunlight, as well as good ventilation, the complete absence of drafts, insulation in cold weather;
- must have a platform for walking.
Dutch white-headed chicken
Crossing the Dutch egg-meat black hens with the Polish white corydalis led to the appearance of the Dutch white-crested. With significant productivity and complaisant character, this poultry is widely known and distributed in Europe.
- a compact body with a developed abdomen, an average length of the tibia of regular shape;
- round head with a high lush white crest in the shape of a ball in place of the crest;
- the head is not feathered reddish;
- the male has a flat tail with slightly curved pigtails;
- egg production of the first year - 140 pcs., of the second - 90-100 pcs. Egg mass - from 40 to 50 g;
- the mass of a mature male reaches 2.5 kilograms.
Beautiful appearance and the number of eggs laid belong to the merits of a white-crested representative of the Netherlands.
- The disadvantages of the breed:
- reduced immunity, a tendency to mass death;
- capricious character - they do not tolerate foreign hens nearby;
- high requirements for conditions of keeping and quality of feed.
Features of keeping at home
Farmers cultivating rare breeds of chickens claim the simplicity of their content and nutrition. A beginner needs to take into account the qualities that distinguish the chosen species, its features and whims.
Basic rules for the maintenance of all decorative breeds:
- The house is set on a small hill to avoid flooding during rains and snowmelt.
- Ventilation, insulation, lighting must meet the sanitary requirements of poultry.
- Chickens require the right temperature, stable heating.
- The floors in the room are installed with clay or wooden coating, lined with sawdust, straw. The litter is removed two to three times a week, preventing the appearance of pests. Boreal chickens require daily loosening.
- The walking area is located on the leeward side - there is a covered roof, a tree to create shade.
- Feeding troughs and drinking bowls are arranged in the chicken coop and on the paddock. Water is changed daily, avoiding pollution.
- Need an elongated shape of the tanks for water and feed, the size should be sufficient for the approach of all birds at the same time.
The main parameter of a decorative chicken is its spectacular appearance. The correct balance of green, protein and mixed feeds helps maintain the plumage and mood of the chickens in the desired form.
Their diet should contain:
- protein supplements and vitamins - they are given according to the weight and age of the bird;
- chopped beets, carrots - this is a juicy feed;
- mineral supplements - sand, gravel, chalk additive, shells.
Chicken feed must contain cottage cheese, boiled eggs, dairy products (kefir, homemade yogurt).
Important! Beautiful plumage of exotic chickens requires keeping them in aviaries of a larger area than for ordinary domestic birds.
Breeding and raising domestic decorative chickens with bright plumage with the right mood, observing the rules of care and maintenance will bring practical and aesthetic satisfaction.