Colostrum cow: benefits and harms
Almost everyone heard about the existence of colostrum, but few people know for certain what it is. Meanwhile, this product is remarkable for its unique composition, which is not found in any other. The benefits of this product, possible contraindications and methods of its use will be discussed in the article.
What is colostrum
Colostrum is a kind of “pre-milk” that appears in females of all mammals just before the birth of the cub and immediately after it. In cows, it is a creamy or yellowish liquid with a thick consistency and a salty taste, preceded by the appearance of milk itself in the udder. However, being the forerunner of milk, colostrum differs significantly from it, not only in how it looks, but also in composition, representing a unique product. This circumstance, as well as the fact that cows secrete it, in comparison with milk, in much smaller quantities, give the product special value.
Did you know? Almost half a billion tons of cow's milk is infused on our planet every year.
How long does a cow stand out?
Isolation of “pre-milk” in a cow is fleeting and ends on average on the fifth day after calving. In some cases, in cows, colostrum appears a few days before the calf is born, while in others it can last up to ten days.
Calorie content and chemical composition
It is because of this variability in the composition of colostrum, depending on how much time has passed since the day of calving, and it cannot be definitely said how caloric this product is. For example, during the first day, its calorie content can reach 150 kcal per 100 ml, and on the fifth day it drops to 70 kcal.
On the first day after calving, 100 ml of the product contains:
- proteins - 27.63 g;
- fat - 1.7 g;
- carbohydrates - 13 g.
- vitamins E;
- vitamins D;
- B vitamins;
- 18 amino acids;
- natural antibiotics;
Benefits and harm to humans
The main task of “pre-milk”, in addition to quick and effective saturation, is the comprehensive strengthening of immunity in a newborn calf.
- normalize the gastric microflora;
- strengthen the nervous system;
- increase the tone of the body;
- strengthen the skeletal system;
- cleanse the body of poisons and toxins;
- improve the condition of hair and nails;
- activate the regeneration of skin cells;
- protect the body from the effects of allergens;
- fight chronic inflammation;
- relieve the course of a diabetic disease;
- eliminate headaches;
- fight depression;
- stop asthma attacks.
The only serious contraindication when a person uses cow’s “pre-milk” is associated with individual intolerance to this product.
Important! This product in frozen form is able to keep all its nutrients unchanged for a year.
How to drink colostrum of a cow to a person
“Premilk”, possessing a specific smell and taste, in its natural form is not to everyone’s taste, to whom it could be useful, therefore it is most often prepared from delicious dishes or consumed in the form of the “Kolostrum” preparation, which is processed cow colostrum, preserving all its valuable composition without exemptions, but in a concentrated form. It is used in diluted with hot water (but not boiling water) form at the rate of 15 g twice a day. This supplement can also be consumed with most foods and drinks.
How to make a casserole
One of the most popular dishes based on cow colostrum is a casserole, which is prepared as follows.
- a mixture of colostrum and milk in a ratio of 1: 3 - 3 l;
- granulated sugar - 1 cup;
- chicken eggs - 10 pcs.;
- table salt to taste.
- Separate 1 cup from the mixture, and pour the rest into a saucepan and put on a stove over low heat.
- Toss a pinch of salt into a bowl of eggshell.
- Stir the contents of the bowl thoroughly.
- Pour a glass of milk and colostrum mixture into the resulting mass and mix again.
- Then add a glass of granulated sugar and mix until sugar is completely dissolved.
- After this, pour the resulting mass into warm colostrum on the stove and mix everything in a saucepan.
- Cover the pan and put in the oven preheated to +180 ° С.
- After an hour and a half, the casserole is ready for use.