Is canned corn useful?
Today, on the shelves of stores you can find a wide range of canned corn - a nutritious and vitamin product that is widely used in cooking. Let's figure out exactly what benefit the harvested for the future and one of the most common cereals on earth - corn, or maize brings.
Calorie content and chemical composition
The nutritional value of cereals is surprising, because it contains over 20 different chemical elements and nutrients, which even after processing them thermally do not lose all their useful properties.
Did you know? Corn has a valuable quality - the ability not to accumulate harmful chemicals in its grains, even if the soil on which it grew was generously fertilized with chemicals. The table shows the average calorific value and chemical composition of canned corn (per 100 grams of product):
|Calorie content||96 kcal|
|Food fiber||2.9 g|
|Vitamin B1||0.08 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.052 mg|
|Vitamin B4||29.0 mg|
|Vitamin B5||0.750 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.126 mg|
|Vitamin B9||20 mcg|
|Vitamin C||6.1 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.08 mg|
|Vitamin K||0.4 mcg|
|Vitamin PP||1, 667 mg|
|Dextrins and Starch||4.48 g|
|Sugar (mono- and disaccharides)||7.74 g|
|Omega 3 Fatty Acids||0.019 g|
|Omega 6 Fatty Acids||0.587 g|
As can be seen from the table, the calorie content of canned corn is quite low, so it can be moderately used in various diets for a healthy person.
What is useful canned corn
Consideration of the aforementioned impressive composition of vitamins and various elements in corn will help evaluate the full benefit of the crop for human health. By adding this cereal to the menu, you can significantly improve your well-being. Starch extracted from maize has a positive effect on the synthesis of muscle fibers. For this reason, it is recommended for people who follow a sports diet. Did you know? Corn can only grow from seeds. But a whole cob that has fallen to the ground will rot, so this plant does not occur in the wild.
- The benefits for humans from eating corn:
- normalization of blood sugar;
- Helps to get rid of bloating;
- possesses choleretic property;
- has a diuretic effect;
- eliminates puffiness;
- normalizes the work of the heart and blood vessels;
- lowers bad cholesterol;
- eliminates atherosclerotic plaques;
- normalizes metabolic processes;
- calms the nervous system;
- helps with pyelonephritis;
- maintains the hemoglobin rate in anemia;
- eliminates mental fatigue and nervous exhaustion;
- relieves bouts of nausea;
- eliminates the negative effects of drinking alcohol;
- normalizes fat metabolism;
- indicated for epilepsy and gout;
- helps with a diet for weight loss.
Can i eat
Consider the usefulness of canned corn for various diseases, whether it is possible to eat it with a diet for weight loss, and also what is its benefit for women in certain periods of their lives.
During pregnancy and breastfeeding
Some women during pregnancy and lactation doubt whether there is any benefit in consuming canned corn grains. For an absolutely healthy woman, this product will be useful (if canned food is prepared without harmful additives), because it has a lot of various components, so necessary for a woman in this crucial period of life. Important! Since the use of corn can reduce appetite, it is contraindicated in case of reduced weight in a pregnant woman. Otherwise, it will negatively affect both her well-being and the health of the future baby.
- Corn grains will be useful for the future mother's body for the following reasons:
- eliminate toxicosis;
- help to cope with increased fatigue (for a woman working during this period);
- help in the fight against puffiness;
- due to vitamin K in the composition, they affect blood coagulation after childbirth;
- increase lactation;
- remove toxins and radionuclides;
- serve as a prophylactic for constipation;
- normalize digestion and excretory system.
Endocrinologists recommend eating corn to patients with diabetes mellitus only if they have no predisposition to increased blood coagulation, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, as well as thrombophlebitis.
- Diabetics need to eat corn for the following reasons:
- blood sugar levels are reduced due to the large amount of fiber, which is able to lower the carbohydrate load;
- in the composition of the described cereal in large quantities there is an amylose polysaccharide, which slows the flow of sugar into the blood;
- the product is able to eliminate digestive difficulties, as well as problems with the large intestine, which is very useful for overweight diabetics;
- to prevent obesity, high blood pressure and clogging of blood vessels, which are often present in diabetes, maize grains are recommended to be added to salads, seasoned with natural sunflower oil or olive oil.
For gastroenterological diseases (both in acute form and in the chronic stage), consuming maize is strictly not recommended, since the product may contain preservatives incompatible with gastritis, salt, stabilizers and other substances that can aggravate the patient's condition.
As for boiled grains, during the remission of the disease, a small amount of baked or boiled and grated young corn can be consumed.
When losing weight
Nutritionists do not recommend consuming corn in large quantities if you want to lose weight, because the canned product contains a high content of sugar and other carbohydrates, as well as salt, although the described product contains less starch (more than half) than fresh grain. Fresh corn cooked on the cob can be successfully replaced by an evening meal, as it can provide the body with valuable ingredients at a low calorie content, so it is more suitable for use in diet food.
Important! If the measure is used canned maize in a comprehensive diet for weight loss, you can get rid of several kilograms of excess weight. In this case, it is important to consult your doctor before using this product.
Contraindications and harm
It is important to understand that the use of maize grains in any form can cause allergic reactions. Also, if there is an individual intolerance to this cereal or there is a tendency to an allergic reaction to vegetables, it is necessary to exclude from the diet dishes with the described cereal in the composition. Even a healthy person should not abuse this product.
- Abuse of maize grains can lead to the following negative consequences:
- the product in large quantities can cause bloating, flatulence, diarrhea;
- canned corn grains with unlimited use cause exacerbation of stomach ulcers and duodenal ulcers;
- in corn there are substances that increase blood coagulation, therefore, people suffering from thrombophlebitis or venous thrombosis should not eat dishes prepared with the described cereal;
- in canned corn there is a large amount of starch, so for its processing an additional burden is created on the pancreas, therefore, with pancreatitis, the product is not allowed for consumption.
For healthy people, canned corn in small quantities is recommended by nutrition experts. It is suitable for creating a daily menu, because it contains a rich source of vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids and minerals. Its grains are able to saturate perfectly without accumulating excess fat, therefore cereal is recommended for use at any time of the year.
It is introduced into the diet in various ways in the form of:
- hot first and second courses;
- homemade pizza.
- verrines (multi-layer, portioned snacks in glasses);
- aspic from various types of seafood;
- corn stews;
- soups based on chicken meat with the addition of vegetables;
- peppers stuffed with rice, corn and vegetables;
- cheese pizza with corn kernels;
- salads (“Basket”, “Christmas tree”, “March 8”, “Sunflower”, “Shanghai”, “Ai-Petri”, from crab sticks with various recipes, with mussels, etc.).
How to choose when buying
Choosing high-quality canned grains, one may encounter some difficulties. Since product packaged in tin containers is often found on store shelves, there is a risk of acquiring dry, hard and unpleasantly smelling corn.
For this reason, you need to arm yourself with knowledge of some of the subtleties of choosing a quality product:
- Pay attention to the production date. In winter and winter, they canned dried grain, which, when opened, is likely to be dry and thin-skinned.
- Shelf life printed on paper labels may not be as indicated.
- When buying maize in a glass container, you need to carefully consider the contents. Grains should be equally colored, whole, without interspersing.
- The shelf life of corn in a glass container is four years, in a tin - three.
- The composition of canned food should not include other ingredients (colorants, preservatives, flavor enhancers), except grains, salt, sugar and water.
- Stop the choice on banks with GOST, and not TU, which serves as a guarantee that manufacturers have complied with manufacturing standards by adding the correct proportion of sugar and salt.
- In no case should you buy a product in a container in which a lid (in glass) or a tin surface (in metal) is swollen.
How to make at home
We give a simple recipe for canning corn grains at home.
To preserve maize grains, you will need the following products:
- 5-8 pcs. corn cobs of medium length;
- 1 liter of boiling water for cooking cobs with the addition of 1.5 tbsp. l Sahara;
- 1 l of brine for preserving grains (30–35 g of sugar (2 tbsp.) + 25 g of salt (2 tbsp. Without top) + 3 g of citric acid (1 tsp. Without top);
- 1 liter of boiling water for washing boiled grains.
- sterilized cans of 0.5 l - 4-5 pcs.;
- caps for preservation;
- pan with a lid for cooking beans;
- low pan with a lid and a wide bottom for sterilizing cans;
- cloth napkin to the bottom of the pan for sterilizing cans;
- a bowl for washing grains after cooking;
- seaming machine;
Now let's start the step-by-step implementation of the harvesting of canned corn:
- Peel the ears of corn and rinse under running water.
- Place corn wrappers at the bottom of the pot for cooking cobs.
- Lay on top of them on top of cobs and cover with a layer of wrappers.
- Pour the ears of 1 liter of boiling water and add 1.5 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar (for a faster cooking process and better taste).
- Cook corn for 40 minutes, preventing the grains from boiling. At the end of cooking, they should be easily separated from the cob, remaining intact.
- After cooking, cool the corn and separate the grains from the ears. Fold in a bowl and rinse in hot water to remove excess particles and residues of sweet brine.
- Put the grains in a colander to drain the water, and then put them in sterilized jars, shaking them and not adding 2-3 cm to the top.
- Place the cans in a pan with a wide bottom, pre-laying a cloth napkin on the bottom and pouring hot water.
- Pour the contents of the cans with preservation brine, pouring liquid to the top, and cover with seaming lids.
- Pour boiling water into the pan so that the water level is 3-5 cm below the neck of the cans.
- Add to the water for sterilization 2 tbsp. l salt (to increase the degree of sterilization).
- Sterilize canned food for 1 hour.
- Remove the jars from the pan, holding the lids on them and roll them up.
- Turn canned food upside down, cover with a warm towel and leave for a day.
- Remove preservation in storage.
Video: Canning Corn Grains for the Winter
Jars of corn kernels rolled up as described above are stored in a cellar or in a cool pantry at low humidity and a temperature of no higher than + 15 ° С ... + 20 ° С for 9 months.
Remembering our simple tips on how to check the quality of canned corn, you can prevent a mistake when buying it. And if you decide to cook the described product yourself at home, then our simple recipe will help you cope with it successfully.