Can rabbits be given watermelon rinds and flesh?
At the end of summer, almost every rabbit breeder raises the question of whether it is worth feeding his pet watermelon peels. At first glance, these juicy skins full of vitamins are simply required to be in the diet of pets. But on the other hand, their stomach is extremely sensitive, so food for it should be selected very carefully. So let's figure out whether it’s worth giving rabbits watermelon crusts or is it better to refrain from such experiments.
Can rabbits get watermelon rinds?
In the wild, these animals often feed on watermelons, raiding farmland. As for pets, they can and should be given similar treats. Supplements made from fresh watermelons will not interfere even with a decorative rabbit, because such a diet has a positive effect on health.
Did you know? Rabbits make up to 120 chewing movements per minute.
- Watermelon skins contain a number of vitamins (A, C, E, group B), carotene, ascorbic acid, so they are more useful than pulp. Their use has the following consequences for pets:
- their immunity is strengthened, so they are less sick;
- muscle mass increases even in those instances that previously could not gain it;
- the gastrointestinal tract improves;
- the coat becomes softer and silky.
- The use of crusts can have negative consequences in the following situations:
- excessive hobby for skins provokes bloating, and this trouble rabbits carry extremely hard;
- nitrate supplements are often found in watermelons, which can damage the health of the pet.
Important! In order to prevent animals from eating skins, but at the same time provide them with vitamins, you can alternate watermelons with melon peel or apples in their diet.
Sometimes rabbits are contraindicated in watermelon skins in the menu:
- if the pet already has problems with the stomach;
- when it comes to pregnant rabbits.
How to Feed Rabbits with Watermelon Peels
You can give such a delicacy both in summer and in winter. To do this, use the fruits of later varieties: they are stored longer and better, so with their help you can replenish vitamins even in the cold season. It is enough to place them in cool dark rooms and get out as needed. Some, especially caring owners, cut watermelon peels and dry them at room temperature in the summer, so that it is more convenient to store them.
Let's look at how to feed watermelon peels to pets so that there are no negative consequences.
Did you know? A rabbit weighing 2 kg, if desired, can drink as much water as a 10-pound dog.
If you are going to introduce a similar supplement in your pet’s diet, check out a few recommendations for preparing it:
- a little pulp should remain on the crusts, then more vitamins will get into the rabbit body, and they will be better absorbed;
- first you need to remove a thin surface layer of green skin from the peel;
- be sure to treat the crusts with boiling water before giving them to the pets;
- do not forget to cut the skins into pieces so that it is easier to eat them with eared;
- give such a juicy feed no more than once every 5-7 days;
- for rabbit health, it would be better to combine watermelon with hay, whole grain or greens;
- the day after the skins, be sure to feed the eared with chopped potatoes, carrots or other vegetables that are characterized by a large amount of moisture in the composition.
Watermelon on the menu also doesn’t hurt the kids. It is worth introducing the supplement gradually, over time increasing its portion and not forgetting at the same time to monitor the state of the rabbits.
Important! Giving crusts to cubs is only after the rabbit has stopped feeding them milk.
Feeding the rabbit with other products
Although watermelon skins are useful for eared pets, they do not always like to eat them. If the rabbit refuses crusts, it is necessary to find another source of vitamins. Let's look at what other foods it is useful to consume with these pets, and what should be discarded.
Which may be useful
The menu of rabbits can be very extensive if desired. It must include:
- Vegetables, among which it is worth highlighting carrots, cauliflower, salad greens. This is a valuable source of protein and minerals, so a pet needs at least 3 types of vegetables per day for healthy development.
- Fruits make up the second large group of products that positively affect the condition of rabbits. Preference here should be given to apples, pears, peaches. Just be sure to wash them before serving, as well as cut medium-sized so that it is easier for animals to eat.
- Specialized rabbit feeds are sold today at any pet store. This is a balanced diet consisting of various mixtures. When buying food, it is important to pay attention to its shelf life, since an old product can provoke an upset stomach in a pet.
- Cereals should also be present in rabbit diets as a source of carbohydrates. Bran, ground barley and oats, filled with water or milk, are best suited.
- Hay is rich in fiber, so try to provide your pets with a sufficient amount of this product. It also positively affects the functioning of the stomach, preventing the appearance of wool lumps in it.
Find out if rabbits can be fed with cucumbers, quinoa, apples, grain, or compound feed.
What can not be fed
These animals have an extremely sensitive stomach, and therefore often suffer from its upset. To prevent this kind of trouble, you should avoid some products:
- Exotic fruits (figs, oranges, avocados, etc.);
- dairy products;
- feed for other types of animals.
Important! Feeding birds is especially worth avoiding: they add pebbles and ground shells that can harm rabbit stomachs.
Rabbit Feeding Guidelines
When compiling a diet, useful tips will help you:
- If you plan to feed your pets watermelon peels, be prepared to pay more attention to cleanliness in their cages (aviaries). Watermelon juice attracts insects and moisturizes rabbit faces, due to which dust sticks to them more, and this increases the level of unsanitary conditions.
- It is important to combine different types of feed in the diet of animals, not forgetting to supplement the watermelon with hay or grass. If you see that your pets did not eat all the skins while eating, then the next time you should give them a smaller portion.
- If possible, it is best to feed the rabbits home-made products, your own garden or vegetable garden. Nitrates may be present in purchased products, which is detrimental to fragile rabbit health.
- If there is time, then the watermelon should be prepared in advance for pets: cut and dry before giving eared.