Can I eat grapes with pancreatitis?
Food has a great effect on well-being. This is especially important if you have pancreatitis - inflammation of the pancreas. In this case, the diet serves as a means of prevention and a way to alleviate pain during an exacerbation. Therefore, it is important to know what you can consume and how it will affect the body. The review will discuss grapes and whether it can be eaten with pancreatitis.
Important! For diseases of the pancreas, before including any product in the diet, be sure to consult your doctor or nutritionist.
The use of grapes for pancreatitis
An inflamed pancreas does not produce enough enzymes that are needed to absorb nutrients from food. Over time, this leads to weight loss. Diet helps to control the manifestation of symptoms and the course of the disease, and also helps to process “heavy” foods by controlling their quantity. This helps to assimilate food with minimal strain on the diseased organ.
- General benefits of the product for the body:
- contributes to the normalization of digestion;
- is a means of preventing cancer;
- promotes the removal of toxins from the body.
- It should also be noted why it is impossible or undesirable to eat these berries for patients with pancreatitis:
- acids contained in it cause irritation of the pancreas;
- fiber can cause diarrhea or increased gas formation;
- glucose can be a cause of heaviness in the stomach.
Did you know? 72 million tons of grapes are grown annually in the world. 71% of the crop is used in wine production, 27% are sold as fresh fruit and 2% become raisins.
In acute form
The acute form of the disease is an exacerbated inflammatory process. It is accompanied by severe pain that occurs after consuming any products that irritate the mucous membrane. Such products aggravate the patient's condition, increase irritation of the mucous membranes, which causes pain. Therefore, it is strictly forbidden to use them.
- Forbidden products with this form of ailment include:
- fried, salty, spicy;
- high sugar foods, including grapes;
- red meat;
- animal fats (oil, margarine);
- fatty dairy products;
- cakes, pastry;
- sweet drinks.
In chronic form
The chronic form of pancreatitis is the same inflammation, only in a "sleeping" state. In this case, the patient can either eat prohibited foods without consequences, or provoke an exacerbation of the disease. Therefore, the use of junk food is not directly prohibited, but remains at the discretion of the person. As for grapes, some patients with pancreatitis consume fresh berries in small quantities, and someone replaces them with raisins.
Important! The acute form of pancreatitis always develops suddenly due to a provoking factor - the use of a prohibited product.
In what cases is grapes strictly prohibited?
Grapes are prohibited in case of:
- individual intolerance (allergy);
- acute form of any diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and pancreas, including pancreatitis.
Did you know? Among alternative treatments, there is grape therapy (amelotherapy). It includes the active use of grapes, including seeds, parts of the vine, leaves.
Norms and basic rules for use
In the chronic phase of pancreatitis, the following rules must be adhered to:
- do not consume large quantities of grapes (eat no more than 100-200 g);
- eat in small portions;
- avoid eating several types of prohibited foods at the same time;
- in case of pain - exclude the product from the diet for 5-7 days.
What can be replaced?
A pancreatic-friendly fruit diet is a menu that eliminates the use of simple sugars. You can eat vegetables and fruits, but do not add sugar to them. Replace it with a sweetener. Try to use grapes in the form of compotes.
- The list of recommended fruits and vegetables may include:
- red berries;
- leafy vegetables;
- sweet potato;
Find out if grapes can cause allergies and how they manifest.
So, diet control is an effective way to protect the pancreas. The use of grapes for pancreatitis can bring both benefits and harm. And regardless of whether the disease is in an acute or chronic stage, it is necessary to minimize the load on this organ.