Can grapes cause allergies and how does it manifest
Grapes are a very tasty, sweet and healthy berry, because it contains a large amount of vitamins (A, B, C, K, P) and minerals (potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium, zinc, fluorine, etc.) . But, in addition to positive qualities, it can harm the human body in the form of an allergy. How to recognize an allergic reaction and treat it - later in the article.
Can grapes cause allergies
Food allergies are the most common immune system disease. The question whether grapes are allergic or not can be answered in the affirmative. Since it is rich in trace elements and vitamins, it may be unsafe for immunity.
Did you know? Grapes - the only fruit that is studied by a whole science - ampelography.
Allergies to grapes can occur in people regardless of age.
- swelling on the face, neck;
- itching in the ears;
- difficulty swallowing and feeling of a lump in the throat;
- nasal congestion and upper respiratory tract;
- skin rashes;
- anaphylactic shock, which turns into asphyxia (choking).
Important! The darker the grapes, the greater the likelihood of an allergic reaction due to the pigments contained in them.
The child has
The disease in young children begins faster and is more severe.
- redness and rash on the body;
- diathesis with redness on the cheeks;
- heavy sweating;
- flatulence and bloating;
- frequent stools;
- spitting up or vomiting;
- Quincke's edema;
Adults tolerate this disease more easily than children.
But people with a genetic predisposition appear characteristic signs:
- spasm of the upper respiratory tract, in particular the larynx;
- a hoarse cough;
- swelling of the face, neck and hands;
- drop in blood pressure;
- pallor of the skin.
Reasons for development
The immune system response to grapes can be triggered by several factors:
- substances that make up the berry;
- fungi, spores, other parasites located on the surface of the skin;
- chemicals used to treat the bushes to increase yield;
- rotting and fermentation products arising from dysbiosis (violation of intestinal microflora).
What is dangerous allergy
This disease does not pose a great danger to the body if it proceeds in a mild form and it can be immediately stopped with the help of medications. But in rare severe cases, it causes anaphylactic shock and respiratory arrest.
How to diagnose
There are several methods to diagnose an allergic reaction to grapes:
- external examination and questioning of the patient - helps to find out when and from which food product painful symptoms appeared, what the victim looks like and how he feels;
- skin test - a small area of the patient’s skin is scratched and an allergen is applied. If the color at the cut site changes to red, then the sample is positive;
- blood test - reveals the level of class E immunoglobulins in the blood;
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay - helps determine the presence of allergies, including other food products.
After carrying out diagnostic measures and determining the severity of the disease, appropriate treatment is prescribed. It includes treatment with medications, alternative methods, immunotherapy, diet.
Important! If an allergy occurs, you can not self-medicate. You should immediately seek help from a doctor.
To eliminate bouts of illness, resort to the help of antihistamines, such as:
- "Claritin" - for adults and children from 12 years old, 1 tab. 1 per day; children from 2 to 12 years old: with a body weight of 30 kg or less - 1 tsp. syrup 1 time per day; more than 30 kg - 2 tsp. syrup 1 time per day;
- "Diazolin" - inside during or after meals, for adults and children from 12 years old, 100 mg 1-3 times a day, for children from 3 to 5 years old - 50 mg 1-2 times a day, from 5 to 10 years old - for 50 mg 2-3 times a day, from 10 to 12 years - 50 mg 2-3 times a day;
- "Tavegil" - inside, before meals, for adults and children from 12 years old, 1 tablet. morning and evening; children 6-12 years old, 1 / 2-1 table. before breakfast and at night.
If dermatitis occurs, local medicines are used:
- ointments - “Advantan”, “Lorinden S”;
- creams - “Advant”, “Sterocort”;
- gels - Fenistil, Psilo-Balm.
With nasal congestion - drops "Kromofarm", "Allergodil", "Lorizan". With conjunctivitis - drops "Vizin", "Allergodil", "Lecrolin".
Did you know? According to the statistics of scientists, in countries where grape wine is preferred, the number of patients with cancer is much lower than in the rest.
If there are side effects in the form of impaired bowel function, then are prescribed:
- sorbents - Enterosgel, Extracaps, Sorbenogel;
- enzyme preparations - "Festal", "Digestal".
In severe cases, hormone therapy is used - Prednisone, Hydrocortisone. Before taking any pharmacy drugs, you need to carefully read the instructions for use with explanations.
Home treatment can relieve some symptoms of the disease, but it will not cure the allergy permanently. For example, with allergic rhinitis, you can take 1/2 tsp. salt, mix with a glass of boiled water and rinse the nasopharynx or use tea tree oil to instill the nose.
With external skin rashes (dermatitis), apply:
- cold shower,
- bay oil
- a bath with a succession
- infusion of chamomile,
- a mixture of 1 tsp. baking soda with 1 cup of warm water.
You can also use herbal preparations purchased at the pharmacy. Manifestations of allergic conjunctivitis can be removed with the help of cold compresses, rubbing the eyes with infusion of chamomile or aloe juice.
It lies in the fact that the patient identifies an allergen and injects drugs containing small doses of this allergen. In this case, the body gradually gets used to the stimulus, and sensitivity to it decreases. Immunotherapy is prescribed for people suffering from seasonal allergies to pollen from grapes.
It consists of the following main phases:
- preparation - the collection of detailed information and the study of the medical history of a particular patient, an allergic test (skin or blood test);
- the initiating phase is the introduction of a purified allergen into the patient’s body, starting with the minimum dose and increasing to the maximum tolerated. An allergen is administered subcutaneously or into the shoulder of adults, children are given in the form of drops under the tongue. This phase lasts 3-6 months in autumn or winter (when there is no flowering of grapes);
- the supporting phase is the fixing stage, when the patient regularly takes the allergen for a long time, about 3-5 years.
Immunotherapy is carried out only under the supervision of specialists who develop an individual treatment regimen for each patient.
- mental disorders;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- severe form of bronchial asthma;
The most important principle of any diet is the exclusion from the diet of foods that cause allergies. In this case, we are talking about grapes, and what about the fresh product. Canned berries can be eaten in moderation. It is undesirable to consume grapes in large quantities, since it is difficult to absorb by the body and is a burden for the digestive system, especially for the pancreas.
Important! In addition to allergies to grapes, there is an equally dangerous allergy to pollen during flowering.
In small quantities, the product will not harm, if you follow these recommendations:
- use it in canned form or own cultivation without the slightest chemical treatment;
- wash thoroughly before eating;
- buy light varieties with fewer pigments that cause disease.