Cabbage variety Kolobok: description, agricultural cultivation
Cabbage is one of the most beloved, most common and most wholesome vegetables found in every home. In terms of ripening, it is early, medium and late. One of the representatives of the late varieties is Kolobok f1.
Variety selection and characterization
White cabbage Kolobok f1 was bred by the N. N. Timofeev breeding station, and in 2004 it was entered into the State Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation. This variety belongs to late-ripening varieties. Heads of cabbage forms dense and juicy, round in shape, weighing up to 4.5 kg.
On top of the head is green, and when cut is light yellow. The leaf rosette develops in diameter up to 40 cm, in height - up to 35 cm. Cabbage leaves are saturated green in color, smooth with a pronounced wax coating, slightly wavy at the edges. Productivity is 7-12 kg / m².
Advantages and disadvantages
- The positive qualities of cabbage Kolobok f1 include:
- high taste, lack of bitterness;
- universality in use;
- long-term storage;
- excellent presentation;
- well transported over long distances;
- high productivity;
- resistance to certain diseases;
- heads of cabbage do not crack.
- Cons of this grade are:
- high soil requirements;
- need for good lighting.
The cabbage variety Kolobok f1 is best grown in seedlings, observing the main requirements, which include proper preparation for sowing and care of seedlings.
Since this variety is late, it is best to sow the seeds at the beginning or in the middle of April, 50 days before planting in the garden.
Soil selection and preparation
To sow seeds, you must first prepare the soil. You can buy it ready-made in a specialized store, or you can make it yourself by mixing 7 parts of peat, 2 parts of humus, 1 part of turf land, 1 part of mullein. For disinfection, the earth must be treated with a boiled solution of potassium permanganate dark pink in color, then add wood ash and mix.
You can grow seedlings of cabbage Kolobok f1 in different containers, given their pros and cons.
- wooden boxes - should be low 8-10 cm, with drainage. Convenient in that all the seedlings are in one place, it is easier to carry and turn to the light, and you can also make them yourself. The downside is that later the seedlings will need to dive into separate containers, and this injures the plant, which will take longer to take root;
- individual cups - with a capacity of 100-200 ml with drainage holes. The advantage is that they are inexpensive, can be used repeatedly, no need to dive seedlings, do not take up much space. The negative qualities include the fact that the seedlings grow weaker, the earth dries faster, the walls of the cups are soft and when transplanted to a permanent place, the roots of the plant can be damaged;
- peat tablets - with a diameter of 6–8 cm and a height of 10–12 cm. The advantages include the fact that the tablets additionally fertilize seedlings, sprouts sprout faster, plants plant with them in the ground without damage. The disadvantages are that they are more expensive, they are used only once, and it is necessary to constantly control the moisture content of peat, preventing its drying out or over-moistening.
Read also about the features of growing such varieties of cabbage: Belorusskaya and Rinda.
Seed selection and preparation
When buying seeds, you need to know whether they have pre-sowing treatment or not.
If they have passed, then they can be sown immediately in the soil, if not, you need to carry out preparation, namely:
- first you need to dry the seeds at a temperature of +30 ... + 35 ° C for 5-6 days;
- make a selection - immerse the seeds in salt water (3-5 g of salt per 100 ml of warm water) and discard the emerging;
- disinfect in a 1% potassium permanganate solution for 15–20 minutes and rinse;
- wrap the family in a napkin or gauze and soak in the stimulating solution “Epin” (1 drop per 0.5 liter of water), “Nitrofoska” (5 g per 1 liter of water) for 12-15 hours;
- make hardening, which consists in soaking the seed in water heated to + 50 ° C for 20-30 minutes, then place it in a refrigerator and incubate for 24 hours at a temperature of +1 ... + 2 ° C;
- at the end of everything dry again.
Sowing the seed of cabbage Kolobok f1 requires the following actions:
- Before sowing seeds, the soil must be moistened.
- Make indentations or furrows 1 cm deep.
- Sow 2 seeds in separate cups or tablets (in case one does not germinate) to a depth of 1 cm, leave 3-5 cm distance between seeds in boxes, 2-3 cm between furrows.
- Sprinkle on top with dry earth, slightly compact and pour with a solution of Fitosporin-M (6 g per 10 l of water), Gamair (2 tablets per 10 l of water).
- Cover boxes or other containers with transparent glass or film and put in a warm place with a temperature of + 20 ° С.
- After 4-5 days, when the first shoots appear, lower the temperature to +6 ... + 8 ° C and maintain for a week.
- After the first leaf appears, the seedlings break through.
When caring for seedlings, you must adhere to some tips, namely:
- picking is done when the seeds are sown in boxes and 2-3 leaves appear on the plant;
- watering should be carried out regularly with warm water, avoiding the drying out of the soil, which should be slightly moist;
- fertilize several times before planting in a permanent place: the first feeding is carried out after 10-14 days with Agricola-1 solution (25 g per 10 l of water) or mix 10 g of ammonium nitrate, 20 g of superphosphate, 10 g of potassium sulfate with 10 l of water, the second is done after 10 days, the third - 10 days before planting in the open ground infusion of mullein (1 tbsp. spoon of infusion per 1 liter of water);
- the lighting should be diffused, because from direct sunlight, burns on the leaves may appear. Seedlings must be provided with a 12-hour daylight using a fluorescent lamp or phytolamp;
- At home, it is best to keep seedlings on the windowsill. But it must be protected from direct sunlight, covering the window with a curtain, and from hot batteries, installing protective screens;
- for good germination of seedlings, the optimum temperature will be + 20 ° C. After germination of the first leaves, the temperature should be reduced by day to +10 ... + 12 ° С, at night - to +6 ... + 8 ° С.
For 7-10 days before planting seedlings on the bed, it must be hardened to strengthen the roots and to seedlings quickly settled in a permanent place.
To do this, you must:
- the first 2 days to open the window for several hours in the room where the seedlings are, avoiding drafts;
- in the next 3 days, bring seedlings to a balcony or veranda for 2-3 hours, covering them with gauze from direct sunlight;
- after that, reduce watering and take the seedlings out into the street until evening, take them back to the room at night;
- on the last day, leave seedlings in the open air until planting;
- immediately before planting, moisten the soil in containers.
Transplanting seedlings to a permanent place
After the preparatory measures are over, you can deal specifically with planting seedlings in open ground.
For late-ripening cabbage varieties Kolobok f1, the following conditions for planting seedlings at a constant place are suitable:
- the presence of 5-6 adult leaves on a seedling;
- seedling height should be up to 20 cm;
- The optimal transplant period is the end of May;
- air temperature should be from + 17 ° C;
- temperature of the heated soil from + 10 ° С.
Seat selection and crop rotation
An important factor in the cultivation of seedlings is the right place for the future beds:
- the soil should be clay or loamy, well retain moisture;
- the place must be chosen quiet, well-lit so that the seedlings do not stretch, without shading and drafts;
- it is better to plant seedlings after potatoes, peas, beans;
- can not be planted after radish, radish, mustard;
- crop rotation is that after cabbage seedlings can be planted no earlier than 3 years;
- the soil should be close to the groundwater - up to 1.5 m.
Scheme and landing depth
When planting seedlings in a permanent place, it is necessary to adhere to a distance between plants of 50–70 cm, between rows of 70 cm. Deepen 10–12 cm. Submerge the seedling itself in a hole to the lower leaves.
Agrotechnical measures include proper watering of plants, tillage, as well as top dressing.
Watering the cabbage is as follows:
- the first 7 days should be abundantly watered seedlings every day with warm water;
- in the next 7 days, watering, reduce and irrigate the plants after 2-3 days, 0.5–1 l of water per 1 plant;
- the best way to irrigate is sprinkling, so that water is better absorbed into the soil;
- water in the evening when the heat subsides;
- to the extent of the appearance of new leaves, the amount of watering should be increased;
- when the head of cabbage begins to form - maximum watering;
- then gradually reduce so that the heads of cabbage do not crack;
- 14 days before harvesting, suspend watering.
A very important place in the care of cabbage Kolobok f1 is occupied by work on the garden, which includes timely weeding, loosening and hilling of plants:
- the first cultivation is done on 8–9 days after planting in a permanent place, when the seedlings are fully established;
- then after each irrigation, the soil must be loosened and hilled at the same time, due to which additional roots appear and the soil is filled with oxygen;
- be sure to weed the beds from weed grass in order to avoid infection with fungal diseases, as well as for better development of seedlings of cabbage.
The quality of the crop will depend on how timely and correctly fed the cabbage.
Fertilizing is carried out in several stages:
- the first top dressing - on the 7th day after planting in open ground with liquid mullein (per 10 liters of water 1 liter of fertilizer), ammonium nitrate (20 g per 10 liters of water);
- after 3 weeks - the second top dressing can also be made with liquid mullein, or you can chicken droppings (0.5 kg per 10 liters of water) or a solution of wood ash (200 g per 10 liters of water);
- when a head of cabbage develops, the third top dressing is carried out with a mixture of potassium fertilizer, urea and water (10 g of fertilizer per 10 liters of water).
Important! If the soil is sufficiently wet due to heavy rains, then mineral fertilizers can not be planted with water, but sprinkled with them dry on the ground.
When to clean, is it possible to ferment
Cabbage variety Kolobok f1 ripens by the end of September. The heads must be assembled in clear weather at daytime temperatures up to + 4 ° at night up to 0 °. This variety can withstand temperatures down to -5 ° C. Since the cut heads of cabbage are less hardy at low temperatures, it is advisable to collect the crop at a time and immediately put it in storage.
Cabbage Kolobok f1, due to its juiciness and density of leaves, is very well suited for cooking fresh salads, salting, pickling. Even after a long time, it does not lose its taste and has a rich taste.
Among the many late varieties of white cabbage, Kolobok f1 is one of the first places, due to its positive qualities. But in order to get a rich harvest, you must adhere to all the tips outlined above.