Bush currant holder: manufacturing methods
To get a good harvest of currants, you need to properly form a bush, for this you will need a backup. This article will tell you what the fence should be and what you can make of it yourself.
Why do we need support for the bushes
One way to properly form a currant bush is to support.
- It provides many opportunities:
- the bush takes up less space on the site;
- easier to harvest;
- bad weather will do less harm;
- due to its severity, ripened berries will not lower branches;
- easier to work with soil;
- the crown will form correctly.
In special stores you can buy fencing, or you can make yourself from improvised materials. Of which, read below.
What should be the backup
The support is necessary steady, safe, practical and convenient for a currant. Supports of frequent use should simply be disassembled and assembled.
What can be done
You can make backups from different materials:
- PVC pipes;
- metal plastic;
The main thing is to decide which option is right for you.
Did you know? According to historians, the Smorodinovka river, mentioned in Russian epics, is the Moscow River. She received this name for the abundance of shrubs of currants on its shores.
When creating a fence, it is also necessary to take into account the characteristics of the currant variety, how tall and spreading the variety grows.
The shapes of the supports are different: square, rectangular, round and triangular. The round support is most convenient, since it follows the shape of a shrub, it is easier to work with and looks impressive.
DIY methods for making props
Consider in detail how exactly you can make a beautiful stand for currants in the country.
Did you know? Unripe currant berries contain 4 times more active vitamin C than ripe ones.
The advantages of this method: easy to assemble, reliable, practical. To make yourself, you will need:
- metal-plastic pipe;
- wooden pegs;
How to assemble:
- From a metal-plastic pipe make 2 identical circles.
- Connect the pipe with a 10-15 cm hose segment.
- Cut 4 racks from a pipe 60–80 cm long.
- In the racks to hammer the bars of a tree.
- Screw the first circle to the top of the posts.
- Screw the second circle 30-40 cm lower than the first.
- Drive the legs into the ground, into metal pegs.
It turns out a high fence. It looks beautiful and holds firmly.
Made of polypropylene
Pros of polypropylene support: reusable, beautiful appearance, easy to assemble, lightweight, convenient to move.
To make, you will need:
- plastic pipes;
- fiberglass reinforcement;
Read more about how to care for blackcurrant bushes in early spring.
- Make 7 racks from pipes 50 cm long.
- Make a through hole in each rack.
- Clog the racks around the bush.
- Pass the fittings through the holes.
- Fasten the ends of the fittings in the last pipe.
- Install the plugs in the racks.
The device takes up little space, holds tight and serves for a long time.
Pros: protects against corrosion, can not be cleaned for the winter, holds a large weight, durable device.
Important! The wire must be wrapped with rubber so as not to injure the shoots.
- metal pipe;
- metal wire;
- Cut the pipe into 4 supports 70–80 cm long.
- Make a through hole on each support.
- Drive supports along the perimeter of the bush.
- Pull the metal wire through the through holes and secure.
Design advantages: weather resistance, inexpensive. To build, you will need:
- fiberglass pipes 4 m;
- thick wire with a diameter of 4–5 mm;
Read also how to tie currants.
- Cut the pipe to make 4 supports 70–80 cm long.
- Make through holes in each support.
- Drive supports around the bush.
- Thread the wire through the through holes.
The advantages of a wooden structure: easy to assemble and disassemble. To install, you will need:
- wooden beam;
- self-tapping screws;
Read more on how to mulch currants in spring.
- Cut the beam into 4 supports of 70–80 cm.
- Drive supports around the bush with a square.
- Cut 4 boards from the timber.
- Attach the boards with screws to the legs.
Of pegs and branches
Such materials are needed:
- 4 pegs 70–80 cm long;
- narrow bar;
- self-tapping screws;
Learn more about how to treat currants with Bordeaux liquid in spring.
- Drive the pegs around the bush.
- Fix the strips with self-tapping screws on the pegs.
This is the lightest and fastest construction time.
Shrub holder care
In order for the bush holders to last longer, they will need proper care:
- metal-plastic fences must be removed for the winter, otherwise the plastic will become unusable due to low temperatures;
- holders made of wood should be covered with preparations from decay, painted and cleaned from the site for the winter season.
Important! Metal fencing is stronger and more durable than metal-plastic and wooden.
Thus, you can make a support for currants on your own, without spending a lot of money and effort on this, especially since there are a lot of manufacturing methods. But such designs will help you collect a decent face and give the garden plot a well-groomed appearance.