Bonduel corn: description, benefits and harms, calories, cooking tips
Nowadays, Bonduelle maize seeds are the most frequently sold seed that has flooded almost the entire market. Whether this is actually a new variety of corn or a PR move to increase sales, read below.
Description and features of the variety
You should immediately find out if there is such a variety as Bonduelle, and where corn grows under the brand name of the same name. In fact, the name "Bonduelle", which signed the majority of seeds sold on the market, is a common PR move to increase sales.
It refers to several varieties of sweet corn that are used in the manufacture of canned products; as a rule, it is Spirit and Bonus.
The main characteristics of these varieties:
- high-yielding, annual hybrid plants;
- ripening time is 90-100 days;
- plants grow up to 2 m in height;
- the average length of the cob is 22 cm;
- varieties are resistant to fungal diseases characteristic of maize;
- develop well on fertile soils.
Important! Yields of hybrid maize in the first generation are much higher than that of parent plants.
Benefit and harm
The most valuable are young corn kernels and steamed products.
- Main advantages:
- a valuable product contains fiber and tryptophan, which allows you to regulate the digestive tract, gently relieving constipation, as well as form a beautiful muscle mass, without resorting to the use of chemical additives;
- vitamins B, D and E improve the performance of the nervous system, help accelerate the regeneration of tissues of internal organs at the cellular level, and also increase the elasticity of the skin;
- due to the content of phosphorus and calcium in the composition of the product, bone tissue is strengthened.
Despite all the benefits, corn can harm the body if eaten abnormally. This product is one of the most high-calorie foods, so frequent consumption of it contributes to the development of obesity.
- Contraindications to the use of corn:
- exacerbation of gastrointestinal diseases, accompanied by low and high acidity;
- accelerated blood coagulation;
- tendency to thrombophlebitis;
- 2-3 stages of obesity;
100 g of heat-treated products contain 123 calories, which account for:
- 67.5 g of carbohydrates;
- 10.8 g of protein;
- 2.1 g of fiber;
- 4.9 g of fat.
Did you know? Currently, there are over 1000 varieties of corn, and the color of the grains varies from white to black.
100 g of canned corn contains 93 kcal, which accounts for:
- 3.3 g of protein;
- 2.3 g of fat;
- 8.7 g of carbohydrates.
Composition and weight in banks
Jars of Bonduelle corn are sold in packs of 170 g. Canned products preserve most of the healthy vitamins and minerals.
It consists of the following substances:
- vitamins B3, B9, A, C, E, PP;
Features of growing corn "Bonduelle"
It is best to grow Bonus and Spirit corn varieties after legumes in well-lit areas.
In the autumn period, after harvesting, the soil must be dug to a depth of 30 cm and applied to each m² by:
- 50 g of manure;
- 150 g of potassium salt;
- 400 g of superphosphate;
- 10 kg of sand;
- 400 g of wood ash.
After this, the soil again needs to be dug to a depth of 20 cm.
Sowing of seeds is carried out in late April - early May, after preliminary cultivation of the soil to a depth of 20 cm. Sowing seeds begin when the soil warms up to a temperature of + 10 ° С. Nesting scheme: in each nest measuring 30 × 60 cm, 3-4 grains are placed to a depth of 6 cm.
With the advent of seedlings, they need to be thinned out, leaving 2 sprouts in each nest. To avoid lodging, plants are spudded.
Important! Corn crop tolerates repeated crops well, so do not worry if there is not so much space on the site to observe crop rotation annually.
Corn belongs to monoecious plants of different sexes, i.e., during flowering, both male (panicles) and female flowers (ears in hardwood sinuses) form on it. To achieve high-quality pollination, planting is best arranged in 4 rows.
Otherwise, you will have to help the plants and carry out pollination by hand, shaking each instance during flowering.
Seeding depth is 3 cm. Seedlings are periodically moistened and a week before planting, fertilizing with manure or compost is carried out.
The main nuances of caring for plants in the open field:
- watering - 2 times before the formation of panicles, after their formation as the top layer of the soil dries up;
- top dressing - introduced from the moment of the appearance of 4-5 sheet plates; alternating organics with complex fertilizers containing nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium;
- row-spacing weeding and hilling - once every 2-3 weeks, as well as after each watering and fertilizing;
- harvesting - when the seeds reach milk or milk-wax maturity.
How to choose and distinguish corn from ordinary
When choosing Bonduelle corn, you need to know how it differs from ordinary varieties:
- ears are large, 19-22 cm long;
- the grain length is about 2 cm, while the grain size of ordinary varieties does not exceed 1 cm;
- young grains are very juicy, when pressed, a large amount of white milk is secreted.
Did you know? An even number of flowers is always formed on the corncob, and then, accordingly, an even number of seeds.
Useful Cooking Tips
Bonduel corn can be used as a side dish for various vegetable and meat dishes, as well as in salads in boiled or canned form. The daily consumption rate of boiled products is not more than 2 ears, canned - not more than 200-300 g.
Boiled corn can be eaten for 1-2 months after reaching the phase of technical ripeness, then the grains become stiff and lose their juiciness, which negatively affects their taste.
The best way to preserve the taste of corn for a long time - canning. Ears of corn can be pickled whole, chopped into small pieces or grains.
You will be interested to know what are the benefits and harms of corn when losing weight.
The following ingredients will be required for preservation:
- 4-6 ears;
- 20 g of salt;
- 60 g of sugar;
- 1 liter of water.
Then proceed according to the instructions:
- Boil water.
- Dip the cobs thoroughly cleaned of leaves and hairs for 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Add sugar, salt to water and boil until they are completely dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Using a sharp knife, separate the grains or put the ears in the whole jar.
- Pour the marinade into the jars.
- Cover the cans with the lids on top.
- Put a cotton towel on the bottom of the pan, place cans on it and fill the container with water at room temperature (+20 ... + 25 ° C) so that it covers a third of the height of the cans.
- Sterilize for 2.5 hours.
- Roll up the jars, turn upside down and wrap them in a warm blanket.
- After complete cooling, install the cans in a cool, dark place.
So, the sensational corn variety called Bonduelle is actually just a public relations campaign. This name was given to the varieties "Bonus" and "Spirit", used for the manufacture of canned products on an industrial scale. Their main advantage is high productivity and versatility of use.