Black-maple honey: properties and features of use
Honey collected from bees from black maple inflorescences is a real gourmet product that has a unique chemical composition. Black-maple honey has an excellent spicy taste with a slight hint of almond and is widely used for the prevention and treatment of various diseases. What else is this product of beekeeping useful for and to whom it can harm, we will understand in the article.
Description and characteristics of black maple honey
Black maple honey is a useful beekeeping product, which is obtained from the nectar of the flowers of a perennial shrub of the Tatar black maple (black maple or non-maple). The honey plant blooms in mid-May and lasts no more than three weeks, after which pumping of the product begins.
What does it look like
Black-maple honey, due to its unique appearance and unusual taste, can be easily recognized among other varieties. It has a fairly viscous, thick, paste-like consistency, stretches perfectly. Over time, its ductility and viscosity increase.
The black-maple product belongs to the category of dark varieties. Most often, it has a dark color with various shades of brown. In some cases, you can find a substance with a lighter color with pleasant shades of amber-brown or yellow-red.
After crystallization, honey acquires a dark brown color.
Taste and Aroma
Honey is characterized by unconventional taste: it is tart, moderately sweet, has a slight acidity, leaves a pleasant aftertaste of almonds and bitterness of cherry seeds. The considered variety was loved by consumers due to its rich taste and light fruity aroma, which gives caramel and wood.
Due to its dense and viscous structure and low glucose content, honey slowly crystallizes. After one year, the product forms crystals in the lower layers, while the upper layer remains in liquid form.
Read also about other varieties of honey:
The chemical composition and calorie content of the product
A feature of dark black maple honey is the increased content of mineral substances, which are 2796 mg / kg. Its chemical composition is represented by the following elements.
- groups B (B1, B2, B6, B9, B12) - take part in metabolism and energy metabolism, normalize the functioning of the nervous and cardiovascular systems, and can cope with stress and depression;
- C - contributes to the normal growth and restoration of tissue cells, gums, skin, strengthens the immune system, activates the launch of the protective functions of the body;
- A - takes part in redox processes, improves skin condition, restores vision, regulates protein synthesis, slows down the aging process;
- D - promotes proper growth and development of bone, muscle tissue, prevents skeletal bone ailments, positively affects the functioning of the heart, normalizes blood pressure;
- K - regulates the process of blood coagulation, participates in the synthesis of protein, contributes to the rapid restoration of bone tissue.
Macro and microelements:
- iron - prevents the risk of anemia, takes part in hematopoiesis, transports oxygen to blood cells;
- zinc - protects the body from infections, takes part in the formation of bone tissue, improves the condition of hair and nails, stimulates the reproductive system, activates brain activity;
- potassium - positively affects cellular metabolism, improves the functioning of the cardiovascular system, strengthens the walls of blood vessels;
- Manganese - cleanses the body of toxins and toxins, fights free radicals, prevents fatty degeneration of the liver, ensures the normal functioning of the reproductive function;
- copper - responsible for the production of elastin, collagen, protects against the harmful effects of chemicals, is involved in the delivery of oxygen to the muscles;
- cobalt - takes part in the production of DNA, promotes bone growth, increases the absorption of iron;
- calcium - necessary for the construction of bone tissue, muscle development, regulates blood formation processes.
As for the calorie content of the product, about 325 kcal per 100 g.
Important! Honey from black maple practically does not have plant pollen, so it is widely used in diet food and children's menus.
Properties of honey for the human body
It is not surprising that due to such a rich biological composition, a black maple product with regular consumption can have a beneficial effect on the work of almost all internal organs.
What is useful
Useful properties of honey from the Tatar maple are widely used for the treatment and prevention of various ailments.
- It has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antioxidant, cleansing, anti-aging, sedative, restorative effects and allows you to:
- strengthen immunity, fight colds, increase vitality;
- normalize the work of the cardiovascular system, prevent the development of heart attacks and strokes;
- improve and restore visual function;
- prevent diseases of the genitourinary system;
- improve the function of the genital and reproductive organs;
- strengthen metabolic and metabolic processes;
- speed up the healing process;
- prevent the development of vitamin deficiency;
- cope with depression, irritability, get rid of insomnia;
- normalize the menstrual cycle in women;
- to normalize the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
Since the product contains a low percentage of glucose, people with diabetes are allowed to consume it after prior consultation with a doctor.
Did you know? From one hectare of non-maple garden, you can collect about 200 kg of pure and natural monoflore black maple honey.
Harm and contraindications
Along with a large number of useful qualities, non-maple honey can in some cases cause harm to the body.
- Contraindications to the consumption of the product are:
- children under 3 years old;
- individual intolerance;
- tendency to allergic reactions;
- gastritis, peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum in the acute phase;
- chronic ailments of the liver, kidneys and biliary tract.
How to check black-maple honey for naturalness at home?
Since black-maple honey is a rather rare product on the shelves of domestic stores, unscrupulous sellers can offer consumers a fake.
However, to distinguish a natural product from a "fake" is quite simple, if you look at its appearance and taste it:
- honey has a dark brown color without any light spots, has a fairly transparent, not cloudy texture. The presence of bright spots in the product may indicate the addition of other, cheaper varieties;
- the consistency of honey is dense, thick, viscous, resembles a paste. The liquid form indicates poor product quality and the presence of impurities;
- the product has almost no crystallization. The formation of a small layer of crystals in the lower layers is allowed. From above it should be completely liquid;
- the product is characterized by a pleasant, tart, moderately sweet taste, which leaves a slight aftertaste of almonds and bitterness of cherry seeds.
In addition, it is worth paying attention to the cost of the product. Good, high-quality black-maple honey a priori cannot be cheap. It is better to refuse to purchase goodies from dubious sellers and make purchases only in trusted stores.
Did you know? The word honey is of Jewish origin and translates as "enchantment" or "substance endowed with magic."
How to apply
Due to its unique medicinal properties, black-maple honey is widely used in the field of traditional medicine and cosmetology.
In folk medicine
Traditional medicine has long been using the beneficial qualities of honey to treat various ailments. To improve heart function, normalize blood pressure, get rid of insomnia, traditional healers recommend drinking 1 cup of warm milk with 1 tbsp. l honey.
For the treatment of ENT organs, honey is used, mixed in proportions of 2: 1 with aloe juice, which is consumed in 1 tbsp. l thrice a day. Such a cocktail allows you to eliminate cough, relieve nasal congestion, relieve bronchitis and laryngitis. Often it is used for bronchial asthma, pneumonia.
A non-maple product makes it possible to relieve nervous tension, relieve irritability and nervousness, and reduce depression. To do this, daily at night, you must take 1 tbsp. l a mixture made from 100 g of honey and juice of one lemon.
To improve the digestive tract, speed up metabolic processes, it is recommended to take 1 tsp every morning on an empty stomach. honey, washed down with a glass of clean water.
Important! Honey can not be added to boiling water, because already at 60 ° C it loses all its healing properties.
The black-maple product has a pronounced antioxidant, cleansing, anti-aging effect, which makes it possible to use it in cosmetology in the preparation of various masks and creams for the skin of the face, body, and hair.
The described beekeeping product perfectly fights inflammation, removes acne, and tones the skin. For this, honey is applied to the face with a thin layer and washed off after complete drying. Wash your face with warm water. Such a mask also helps prevent the formation of wrinkles and reduce those that have already appeared.
Equally useful is a body remedy - it perfectly fights against the manifestation of cellulite, makes skin integers smoother, firmer and more elastic. The product is patted on problem areas, allowed to dry until the formation of white threads, the presence of which indicates the elimination of toxins from the body. Did you know? With the ability to collect honey, not only bees, but also wasps. For example, in Mexico, a product collected by wasps polybium occidentalis gained wide popularity. The sweet treat has special effectiveness on the hair: strengthens, restores, nourishes, activates growth, prevents brittleness and cross-section. For this, the product is carefully rubbed into the roots, then distributed over the entire length, after 30-40 minutes, rinse with warm water and shampoo.
Video: How to distinguish real from fake honey
Terms and conditions of storage
An ideal container for storing honey is considered to be glass, previously disinfected containers, which should be placed in a dry, dark place, with stable temperature indicators + 10 ... + 16 C. In a city apartment, a small amount of the product is allowed to be stored in the refrigerator, in tightly sealed utensils from dark glass or clay. Large containers can be placed on the balcony. It is necessary to protect the substance from the negative effects of direct sunlight and high temperatures, above + 35 ° C.
Important! At low (minus) temperature indicators, the healing properties of the beekeeping product in question are preserved better than with positive ones.
Thus, due to the high cost on the shelves of domestic stores to meet black maple honey can not often. However, due to the high healing properties and excellent taste, he managed to gain wide popularity among fans. The product with regular consumption has a beneficial effect on the whole body, fills it with energy and serves as an excellent tonic.