The benefits and harms of dried and dried cranberries
It’s not for nothing that the people call the “berry of youth”. It contains a lot of useful properties for the human body. From this article you will learn about the benefits and harms of dried and dried cranberries, as well as all the features of its use.
Nutrition Facts of Dried Cranberries
To understand where the beneficial properties of any product come from, you should pay attention to its composition. Cranberries are known for their vitamin composition, as well as the optimal content of the necessary substances for use in the diet of both regular and dietary foods.
Did you know? Cranberry got its English name “Cranberry” because of its flowers, which resemble the neck and head of a crane (in English - “crane”).
Proteins, fats, carbohydrates and calories
100 g of dried berries contains about 288 calories. Based on this, it can be calculated that about 1 kilocalorie is contained in 1 dried cranberry . These indicators allow you to include dried cranberries in many diets that require a certain amount of fruit and berries per day (from 100 to 200 calories per day). In addition, 100 g of dried cranberries contain 1.37 g of fat, which is a tiny fraction of the fat needed per day (from 44 to 78 g).
As for the amount of carbohydrates, then in 100 g of dried cranberries they contain 82 g. In addition, the same portion of berries contains 5.7 g of dietary fiber. Each person’s nutrition plan should include 21 to 38 grams of fiber per day.
The nutritional value of dried cranberries with and without sugar is presented in the table:
|Calories: 258 kcal||Calories: 288 kcal|
|Protein: 0.3 g||Protein: 0.5 g|
|Fat: 0 g||Fats: 1.3 g|
|Carbohydrates: 60, 4 g||Carbohydrates: 82 g|
Vitamins, Macro and Microelements
The composition of cranberries includes a lot of beneficial acids, micro and macro elements, as well as vitamins . All of them have one or another effect on the body, and most of them are vital for maintaining health.
Vitamin composition per 100 g of berries:
- B1, thiamine (0.02 mg). It normalizes the central nervous system, fights stress and depression, strengthens the cardiovascular system.
- B2, riboflavin (0.02 mg) . Participates in the metabolism, helps to produce energy, helps maintain good vision, regulates blood acidity, helps with epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease.
- B4, choline (5.5 mg) . It is necessary for the functioning of the nervous system, protects the brain, regenerates the liver, normalizes fat metabolism, improves short-term memory.
- C, ascorbic acid (15 mg) . It removes toxins from the body, normalizes blood circulation, participates in the synthesis of collagen, accelerates wound healing.
- Vitamin PP (0.3 mg). Regulates the nervous system, promotes digestion, dilates blood vessels, normalizes cholesterol levels.
Macronutrients per 100 g:
- Potassium (119 mg). It supports water balance, transports nutrients, cleanses the body, and helps deliver oxygen to organs.
- Calcium (14 mg). Strengthens bones and teeth, promotes blood coagulation, helps with insomnia, reduces the risk of bowel cancer.
- Magnesium (15 mg). Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, increases bone strength, relieves headaches and depression.
- Sulfur (3.9 mg) . It is a source of energy, helps to absorb iron, prevents arthritis, stimulates the secretion of bile.
- Phosphorus (11 mg) . It is necessary for the formation of bones, teeth and nerve cells, promotes digestion, improves brain and liver function.
- Chlorine (6.7 mg). Promotes the breakdown of fats, helps in the formation of blood plasma, removes toxins, controls the state of red blood cells.
Trace elements per 100 g of cranberries:
- Iron (0.6 mg). Participates in the transport of oxygen to tissues, in the generation of energy and the processing of toxins. Helps the immune system fight aggressors.
- Manganese (0.36 mg). Improves the strength of bones and cartilage, promotes wound healing, protects cells from free radicals.
- Copper (61 mcg). Participates in the production of blood cells, improves the condition of bones, blood coagulation and secretion of hormones.
- Fluoride (10 mcg). It affects the strength of bones and skin condition, participates in the process of hematopoiesis, helps to absorb iron.
- Zinc (0.1 mg). It stimulates the immune system, lowers blood sugar, improves eyesight.
The amount of most of the above elements and vitamins is extremely small, and the use of cranberries alone will not be enough to support the health of the body. The diet must necessarily be diverse in order to maintain the ability to receive the full range of vitamins, beneficial acids and elements.
The benefits of dried and dried cranberries
It is believed that subject to all drying rules, the berry retains its beneficial properties. Most water will be lost, but due to this, the quantitative content of vitamins and minerals will increase. Important! Dried and dried cranberries are not a full-fledged medicine. Its use in diseases is recommended in conjunction with the main treatment. So nutritionists are advised to include in the diet both fresh and dried berries. From the description of the substances that make up the cranberry, you can see how useful this berry is.
- Nowadays, many of its healing properties are known that help to cope with certain diseases:
- destroying free radicals, antioxidants inhibit the formation and growth of tumors;
- flavonoids remove harmful cholesterol from the body, thereby purifying and strengthening the vascular system;
- dietary fiber has a positive effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract;
- a good remedy for treating inflammation of the urinary tract;
- serves as a prophylaxis of osteoporosis;
- prophylactic against caries, improves the condition of bones and teeth;
- antibiotic and antiviral effect helps fight colds;
- protects against varicose veins and thrombosis;
- strengthens the nervous and circulatory system.
Especially noted the benefits of these fruits for the body of girls and women.
Since ancient times, they treated many diseases, such as cystitis, pyelonephritis, and were also prescribed during pregnancy:
- With PMS, cranberries help combat the symptoms of menstruation, which so often give girls discomfort. It relieves muscle pain and improves appetite. She also enriches the blood with substances that the woman’s body loses during this period.
- During pregnancy, the fruits of this plant serve as a source of potassium, a deficiency of which the body experiences during gestation. They also fight symptoms of pressure and maintain electrolyte balance. Organic acids improve heart function and dilate blood vessels. An important property of cranberries is to remove excess fluid in the tissues, which prevents the formation of edema during pregnancy. It is also the prevention of vitamin deficiency.
- Against breast cancer - the use of this berry allows you to fight the formation of tumors, and is also a good way to prevent this disease. It is recommended to include it in the diet to accelerate the rehabilitation process during the period of oncology treatment.
For men, this berry is also of great benefit:
- With prostatitis, the presence of a large number of active substances in the biochemical composition of the fetus eliminates the symptoms of this disease. A large amount of vitamin C and B enhances cellular immunity, and also has anti-inflammatory and bactericidal effects.
- For the genitourinary system - regular use of cranberries normalizes sexual function and the general hormonal background. Proanthocyanidins, which are part of it, slow down the reproduction of bacteria, prevents them from attaching to the walls of the bladder.
Possible harm and contraindications
Like any product, cranberries have certain contraindications. You should definitely familiarize yourself with their list before including this berry in your diet.
- Contraindications to the use of cranberries:
- intolerance to the constituents of this product, allergy;
- with gout and urolithiasis;
- with gastritis and stomach ulcers;
- with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract on an empty stomach;
- acids contained in fruits can destroy tooth enamel;
- mothers during lactation and children under 3 years.
People who, for one of these reasons, are not recommended to use cranberries, should not completely abandon it. It is enough to reduce the amount and frequency of its use, and immediately after eating, rinse your mouth with water. However, in case of an acute allergic reaction, you should immediately stop taking it.
Features of use
Since ancient times, people knew about the beneficial properties of dried cranberries and used it in official medicine, folk and cosmetology. To this day, it remains a prophylactic of many diseases, as well as concomitant treatment. In traditional medicine, it continues to treat some ailments. It helps not only to cope with the disease, but also to saturate the body with the missing vitamins, enrich it with useful substances and strengthen the immune system.
Did you know? To facilitate harvesting, a variety of cranberries was developed in the United States, which has small air chambers in its fruits and therefore does not sink in water. During the harvest, the plantations are flooded, and the berries are shaken off the bushes with a special combine and harvested directly from the water when they surface.
In folk medicine for diseases
There are many recipes and rules for the use of these fruits for the treatment of diseases.
Here are the most popular ones:
- With thrombophlebitis and hypertension - three times a day before meals, you need to use 2 tablespoons of berries.
- With atherosclerosis - 20 g of a mixture of dry cranberry leaves and fresh berries, pour 1 cup of boiling water and leave to infuse for 4 hours. Strain and drink 0.5 cups 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
- With periodontal disease - massage the gums with the pulp of the fruit three times a day after eating.
- For varicose ulcers - wash the affected parts of the body with diluted water, juice of berries in a ratio of 1: 1.
Other illnesses, such as runny nose, throat diseases, pneumonia, bruises, etc., are treated in a similar way. Let us consider in more detail the use of cranberries in the treatment of cystitis and colds.
Cystitis is an inflammation of the mucous membrane of the urinary tract . This is one of the most common diseases in which women resort to cranberry treatment. Clinical studies have shown that with proper treatment, supplemented by taking these fruits, recovery occurs much faster.
This is due to the content of such substances in this berry:
- organic acids - have a pronounced bactericidal effect;
- triteprenoids - relieve inflammation;
- flavonoids - reduce vascular permeability;
- pectins - help cleanse the body.
Proanthocyanides, which are also contained in large quantities, can quickly eliminate inflammation due to the fact that pathogens and pathogenic viruses are not allowed to become fixed in the bladder. As a result, the pathogen soon leaves with the excreted urine. Many medicines for cystitis include cranberry extract, for example, Urinal, Urofrofit, Monurel and Cystivitis.
There are a large number of ways to use this berry for the treatment of cystitis. In addition to fresh consumption, it can be brewed and dried.
Recipe number 1
1 L 15 min. Ingredient Steps 3
- Rinse the berries well and knead in a homogeneous gruel. This can be done using a blender or manually.
- Drain the pulp juice and put it in a cold place.
- Pour the resulting mixture with water and put on fire. After boiling, cook for another 7 minutes.
- Then mix the broth with juice and add honey. Mix everything thoroughly.
Take this remedy should be 100 ml 4 times a day. Subject to all the rules of treatment, recovery usually occurs already on the 3-4th day.
It is believed that cranberries in any form help with colds, such as jam, fresh berries or fruit drinks. Indeed, this berry is able to relieve unpleasant symptoms and help the body repel an infection attack due to the high content of vitamin C. In addition to strengthening the immune system, these fruits replenish the supply of vitamins, which are literally “washed out” of the body during the illness. Also, one must not forget about the antimicrobial and tonic properties of berries.
Recipe number 2
1 L 30 min. Ingredient Steps 3
- Rinse berries and carrots thoroughly. Squeeze the juice out of them.
- Mix everything until smooth and add sugar.
- Before use, cool the mixture and dilute with water (quantity - optional).
Such a drink quickly restores the lack of vitamins, gives energy and enhances immunity. It should be drunk 2-3 times a day in small portions.
When losing weight
Based on indicators of the nutritional value of cranberries, we can conclude that it is well suited for dietary nutrition. Unlike other berries, such as grapes, it contains little sugar and, conversely, much more different nutrients. Important! It is not recommended to eat cranberries alone, even as part of a diet. After eating it, you need to eat something else, otherwise increased acidity in the stomach can provoke the appearance of ulcers or gastritis.
Reasons why cranberries should be consumed with diet and proper nutrition:
- low calorie - at the level of broccoli and bell pepper;
- a large number of pectins, which give a feeling of fullness and improve the digestion process;
- improved metabolism.
Cranberries can be consumed with other dried fruits, included in salads, desserts, soups and main dishes. She will add not only piquant sourness, but also enrich the meal with a whole set of useful substances.
For a long time it is believed that this berry is able to preserve beauty and youth. The use of cranberries has a positive effect on the condition of the skin, nails and hair. Also, some substances in its composition contribute to the production of collagen, which is responsible for the youthfulness of the skin - it is its lack that is the main cause of skin aging and wrinkles. Find out if cranberries are an allergen. There are many recipes for home remedies with cranberries in the composition. These are all kinds of masks, compresses, scrubs and moisturizers. Judging by the numerous reviews, with the right ingredients and proportions, all these remedies really give results.
When preparing and applying such masks, the following points should be considered:
- First of all, you need to make sure that you are not allergic to cranberries. To do this, you can apply it to the bend of the elbow and wait.
- The juice of this berry practically does not wash, therefore, maximum caution should be exercised when using cranberries. Or put on old clothes that you don’t mind throwing away.
- When applying the mask, the area around the eyes and mouth should be avoided.
- For mixing the ingredients, glass and ceramic dishes are suitable, but in no case metal.
- Rinse off the mask with warm water without additional cosmetics.
This procedure can be performed twice a month. The main thing is to choose the right recipe for yourself. For example, for owners of oily skin, it is recommended to add a tablespoon of honey and grape juice to cranberry juice, and for aging skin - olive oil and protein.
How to dry cranberries
The drying process is not particularly difficult even for those who have never encountered it before. However, there are certain rules that must be observed so that after drying the berries retain all the beneficial substances and do not spoil.
First of all, it is necessary to select ripe and whole berries, dip them for 1 minute in boiling water. This will prepare the fruits for direct drying and prevent the healing properties from disappearing.
Then you can choose any of 4 drying methods:
- In the oven. Preheat the oven to + 45 ° C, put a baking tray with berries in it. When they subside, increase the temperature to + 70 ° C. Keep cranberries in the oven for up to 5 hours.
- In the microwave. Wrap the berries in cotton and put in the microwave for 3 minutes. Then open the door, mix them and put in for another 3 minutes. This must be done several times until the fruits are dried and become suitable for winter storage.
- In the electric dryer . Put cranberries in an even layer on a pallet and turn on the dryer at + 55 ° С. The duration of this procedure is up to 30 hours.
- On air. In the case of drying outdoors, it is recommended that the berries be cut in half and spread out in an even layer. To what state you need to dry them - you decide for yourself.
After reading this article, you will know exactly what can be done with the extra cranberry. Drying will provide them with long-term storage, as well as the ability to use them at any convenient time for you to good use. Bon Appetit!