Basic rules for watering Zamioculcas at home
Zamioculcas is unpretentious. However, in order for the dollar tree to grow stably and develop correctly, at least minimal and systematic care must be taken. Mandatory care measures include watering. It is important to properly and regularly moisturize the plant.
The Importance of Proper Watering of Zamioculcas
Growing in natural conditions, plants absorb moisture in the process of precipitation. When grown in an apartment, only a person can provide them with moisture.
Indoor plants need water to:
- nourish the roots with the necessary nutrients from the soil and air, dissolving them and transporting them;
- participate in the construction of cells and tissues;
- take part in the synthesis of organics;
- protect against overheating and overcooling.
Did you know? Due to the outward resemblance to the fat girl, Zamioculcas was popularly called the dollar tree. Superstition says that, unlike the money tree, this plant attracts not just money in the family, but only dollars.
How often to water a dollar tree
Zamioculcas prefers moderate watering from spring to autumn. Water the plant at a time when the top soil layer dries. In winter, the number of humidifications should be reduced to a minimum. The soil surface between waterings should dry well. The flower does not treat excess moisture. With frequent and excessive moisture, its roots and stem can rot.
What water to use
For irrigation of indoor plants use rain, thawed, filtered or settled for at least 12 hours (preferably 1-2 days) water at room temperature. It is strictly forbidden to moisten the flowers with cold hard water. This negatively affects their condition and beauty, and also shortens their lifespan. Watering with tap water after boiling is possible. Since a huge part of the valuable elements disappears after this procedure, it is necessary to add vinegar (1 tsp / 1 l) or citric acid (5 crystals / 1 l) to it. This mixture is recommended to be watered no more than 1 time in 30 days.
Did you know? Florists argue that a dollar tree attracts money to a house only if it is not purchased on its own, but donated. In the house he needs to be raised in a zone of wealth - in the southeastern part.
Basic watering rules
The basic rules for hydration of Zamioculcas are as follows:
- Do not overmoisten.
- Watering infrequently, but plentifully.
- Make sure that the drops do not fall on the stems and leaves.
- In summer, watering should be done in the evening, and in winter in the morning.
- Humidification should be regular.
- At the bottom of the pot must be laid drainage, which will prevent stagnation of moisture.
- If the flower grows in a ceramic pot, then it will need more moisture than the flower that is planted in a plastic container. Plastic holds moisture better.
- More moisture for a room culture will be required at high air temperature, low humidity, dense soil and intense light.
- More and more watering is necessary for a plant in the active phase of growth and during flowering.
How to water Zamioculcas at home
Moisture regimen will vary depending on the time of year and the phase of flower growth.
In winter, the flower should be watered about 1 time in 3-4 weeks. The owner needs to control the state of the upper soil layer. After it dries completely, it is necessary to wait a few more days and only then produce the next hydration.
In summer, watering should be infrequent, but plentiful.
Zamioculcas can be watered in 2 ways:
- top or classic;
- lower, into the pallet.
Important! In the absence of short-term pots can be placed in a large plastic container with wet wipes and paper or a small water level.
When moistened under the root, the frequency of watering is determined by the owner according to the state of the soil - its top layer should dry 2 cm deep. The exact number of days between watering will depend on the temperature and humidity, lighting intensity, age and size of the flower, and soil composition. For example, if there is cloudy weather on the street for a long time, then you will need to water less often. In hot weather, the number and volume of humidifications increase.
If it’s hard for a person to determine if the soil is sufficiently moistened, you can stick a stick or finger into the ground. If the layer below is wet, it means that the soil is sufficiently moistened. Watering under the root is carried out by a watering can with a thin nose to avoid drops falling on the trunk and leaves. This will prevent sunburn.
When pouring into a pallet, proceed as follows:
- Pour water into the pan.
- After 15–20 minutes, drain off residues.
- Lightly irrigate the topsoil.
- After 15 minutes, pour water into the pan again.
- After 10-15 minutes, drain the residues.
Important! Zamioculcas organs contain poisonous juice. It is not recommended to keep it in a house where there are small children and pets.
Combination of fertilizing with watering
From mid-spring to late summer, the flower needs to be fed. 2 supplementary foods are needed per month. For zamioculcas, ready-made fertilizers designed for succulents and cacti are suitable. It is recommended to reduce the indicated dosage on the package by 2 times. Fertilizing must be combined with moisturizing.
What is the danger of improper watering
Zamioculcas can put up with irregular watering and drought for a long time. But waterlogging tolerates poorly.
If the plant lacks moisture or there is too much of it, it will notify the owner of the changes in appearance:
- Softening and yellowing of leaves. This change suggests that the plant is too often and abundantly watered. It is necessary to reduce the volume and increase the intervals between irrigation.
- Drying the ends of the leaves. This may be a symptom of too dry indoor air. The plant should be regularly sprayed and wiped with a damp cloth.
- Yellowing and drying of the leaves. Most likely, the plant does not have enough moisture. It is necessary to water it more often or more abundantly.
- The decay of the stem and tuber. Rot settles on the plant with excessive watering and cold temperatures. If it is insignificant, then you can cut out the decayed area and process the cut place with crushed charcoal, and then transplant the flower into a new pot and soil. With severe decay, it will be necessary to rejuvenate the plant by propagating it with a leaf or a cuttings. You will have to say goodbye to the mother flower; you will not be able to reanimate it.
Find out how and how much zamioculcas blooms at home.
Despite the fact that zamioculcas grows well and with minimal care, watering is necessary for its stable growth, proper development and achievement of maximum decorativeness. Before starting such a flower in the house, you need to familiarize yourself with the recommendations on the method, frequency and volume of hydration, and adhere to them clearly.